1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Help With R/T Transmission & Codes

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 06:45 PM
02 Durango_R/T
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help With R/T Transmission & Codes

Hey guys, really hoping someone can point me in the right direction here. Please bear with a long read:
My Durango has 51K miles, no mods & AAMCO rebuilt the tranny less than 2 years/11k miles ago. Shortly after the rebuild the tranny would surge before going into 4th. They assured me that my "computer isn't sending the right signals to the tranny and I need to have the computer serviced". I had it reflashed. Didn't help. The surge never went away, but everything else was fine.

A few months later a CEL read P0138 - & I had the O2 sensor changed. The code returned & I ignored it. Meanwhile, the tranny started slamming into gear at 2nd & reverse. Finally during tuneup last weekend I had the CEL scanned again, and got P0138, P0037 & P1762. Changed all the sensors indicated & had the tranny fluid checked. Visually it's fine. The guy did something with the shifter cable, & told me that the slamming was due to backlash in my rears, maybe bad U-joint, but not the tranny. Does this make sense?

Well, the P0037 code has returned, tranny still slams into gear and now shifts like crap.

To me it all sounds complicated but I'm hoping a trained eye can give me some ideas before I go nuts or drop any more cash.
Thanks!

Old 09-04-2009, 09:05 PM
min624

interesting ... i also have a '02 RT with 89K (i bought it with 82K). this truck also had its tranny rebuilt by AAMCO at 62K. and i also have the P0138 oxygen sensor code. my truck also pops into reverse and into drive.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:52 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

okay you replaced both 02 sensors?

Old 09-05-2009, 10:46 AM
02 Durango_R/T
Professional

Yup, both were replaced at different times.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:08 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BTW, a 5.9 mated transmission is the same if it is attached to an entry model SXT, the SLT, the SLT+ or the R/T. No need to define or think it is special/different. Your transmission matches all other 5.9 Durangos. Outside of the model year 2000, "R/T" is just a trim package. Nothing different or extra performance related to it verses all the other packaged trim packs. If you find info on any 5.9L trans issue, it matches info for your D too.

IndyD

Old 09-06-2009, 12:13 AM
02 Durango_R/T
Professional

Wonderful. Any insight on the problem?

I think the same tranny was in my Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9. I hear they are notoriously crappy, but I didn't have the Jeep long enough to find out. What I'm really curious about is the notion that the slamming might be due to the axles, not the transmission.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:07 AM
Kensai
Champion

On my R/T, putting it in reverse does put a good thump/clank noise. But I think that thump is coming from the Transfer case. I took it to various dealers while it was still under OEM warranty and all of them said this thumping noise when throwing in reverse is normal.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:09 AM
IndyDurango
Champion

Take it to a good trans shop and NOT a chain store like AAMCO. I'd say the bands need adjusted and simple service. Perhaps a solenoid too. They are full of **** in regards to the PCM working fine EXCEPT for signals to one gear. LOL!

IndyD

Old 09-06-2009, 01:17 AM
IndyDurango
Champion

K,

I get that same sound and always have. The way I understand this guys issue is that he is having noise and/or problems from one gear to another. I never get the same noise I get when shifting into reverse as I do shifting from 1st to 2nd. That is a sign of bands because those two gears on on different bands. Thats what you get with an AAMCO 1st Year tech class certified guy instead of a senior transmission person from a long time in business trusted trans shop.

IndyD

Old 09-06-2009, 03:54 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I think the trans guys at AAMCO don't know **** and I wouldn't have them work on a Honda........LOL

I think it's time to have them check the trans out under warranty if you have one? By the way you have a 46RE transmission.

Quick Reply: Help With R/T Transmission & Codes