Old 01-26-2010, 12:12 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Look around even ebay it!

Old 01-26-2010, 03:21 AM
Segrat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a similiar situation around Christmas day. My durango wouldn't start. It had some issues prior ( died and ran crappy right after going thru car wash) I got it towed home and into the garage with a heater on it figuring it was a froxen fuel line. started up again shortly after that and didn't have issues till last week. I checked the spark ad it was there but was muted. When I took off the air intake and the wife tried to start it I could then see where the coil wire was sparking. Ran to my Ram and pulled off the coil wire from there and put it in the Durango and she started right up. I couldn't see the origional wire sparking in the sun and cold not to mention being hidden under the air intake.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:22 AM
Dislander
Professional

Yes please don't throw parts at it. diag is just a case of elimination. beg borrow or steal (last ones a joke) a fuel pressure gauge. get a cheepee & find a sfe place to tap in, zip tie the thing at the cowl where you can see it & drive till it acts up, if your loosing fuel pressure you'll know & not be wondering if your wasting money. if you think power is going away it's simple enough to make a quickie test light & hook it to the pump conections, see if it stays lit when fuel press goes & you have your answer definitivly.

Or you find it was never the fuel pump & save three hundred bucks.

If you do decide to test it first & find it's not the cause post back up & we'll help some more.

While running with a gauge please be very mindfull of fuel leaks. big time fire hazard.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:30 AM
dcr

Originally Posted by Dislander
, if your loosing fuel pressure you'll know & not be wondering if your wasting money.
Well, I know for sure that when it dies the fuel pump turns off. You can hear it die. The engine will then crank away without firing until the gas gauge turns back on. I didnt think to try the hard wired test light idea. That would tell me if the fuel pump itself is dying, or if it is loosing power for some reason. I will see if I can try something like that this weekend.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:26 PM
Dislander
Professional

If you find it's loosing power, try jumping the f/p relay & then move the test light to what would normally be the power up socket of the relay. & run her again till fail. if no fail, I would call relay. but if the truck stays running & the test light goes out your looking at signal.

I may have missed this but, did you have the pump assembly out of the tank to check the connections in the unit itself? just sounds so much like your loosing a ground somewhere.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:23 PM
dcr

Originally Posted by Dislander
I may have missed this but, did you have the pump assembly out of the tank to check the connections in the unit itself? just sounds so much like your loosing a ground somewhere.

Yea, pulled it all apart. Cleaned the connections and put it back together. Its enough to drive me nuts! I haven't had a chance to try the test light thing yet... More to come

Quick Reply: 99 durango cranks but doesnt start.