1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

when slowing down and reverse i hear clicking.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 10:49 PM
iicon3
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default when slowing down and reverse i hear clicking.

ok i know i have been post for alot lately and i appreciate all the help.i'm just trying to get it ready for winter.my d runs great and is a smooth ride .just in case you were thinking wow another issue with iicons d!! boy he got a piece of junk lol

ok im a little bent cause i just spent some bucks changing the front shocks,upper and lower balljoints.but it could of been alot worst i could of brought it to the dealer or some mechaninc that was going to overprice on the labor.besides went out and replaced it with moosh (i think that was the brand)they were kinda expensive but i have heard they were top off the line.well any ways as for the clicking.

i only hear it when im slowing down or in reverse.i am not turning.and the clicking is real slow like if i had a rock inside the tire rim cap. any suggestions.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:28 PM
RunnerMatt
Rookie

I just read this post and sorry this is not an answer but I have had the same issue that I think you are describing. I can only hear it going real slow and as I pick up speed it becomes less audible. It seems like it is coming from the front of the car on the left side. Maybe both? No clue as to what it may be either, but it does not seem like anything serious.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:41 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hum several things, u-joint (u get a cluck at all when putting it into gear?) cv axle, how was the rotors? have yo checked the back brakes? and plus a little more detail exactly where are u hearing this clicking sound from? close as possible

need year model ext...

By the way u used Moog ball joints ext...

Old 09-19-2009, 03:36 AM
1954Radio
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iicon3
ok i know i have been post for alot lately and i appreciate all the help.i'm just trying to get it ready for winter.my d runs great and is a smooth ride .just in case you were thinking wow another issue with iicons d!! boy he got a piece of junk lol

ok im a little bent cause i just spent some bucks changing the front shocks,upper and lower balljoints.but it could of been alot worst i could of brought it to the dealer or some mechaninc that was going to overprice on the labor.besides went out and replaced it with moosh (i think that was the brand)they were kinda expensive but i have heard they were top off the line.well any ways as for the clicking.

i only hear it when im slowing down or in reverse.i am not turning.and the clicking is real slow like if i had a rock inside the tire rim cap. any suggestions.
What area is the noise coming from? If it's coming from the rear it could be your self adjusting rear brakes. If so, your brakes may be worn bad enough to keep needing the adjustment. If not, I would check the bearings in the area the noise is coming from just to be safe.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:22 AM
iicon3

yea thats the one "moog"

its a 98 5.2 4x4 durango.and i also hear it in the front left tire.

i gave it some thought, and im going to check today.when i was replacing the shocks and the ball joints. when i was loosing the brake calipers the previous owner put in the wrong bolt, cause it was loose and wouldnt tighten.so i had to buy another bolt, but when i went to advance auto and i had told them the bolt for the brake caliper. they told me which one did i want the one that comes from the factory or the oversized one.i had gotten the factory reccommended one,which was a couple of dollars.It didnt fit so of course i went back to get the oversized one.The darn bolt costed 18.00 dollars.and it worked.(that was the right side.the non clicking side)The left side the bolts fit fine so i didnt have to replace them.sooo im thinking maybe one got loose and im getting the clicking from the brake calliper cause one side is loose.or maybe something got into the rim cap like a rock, i dont know.

Old 09-19-2009, 02:34 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You could have slightly bent the dust cover on the back side of the rotor when you took the calipers off and as the rotor goes around gently hits the cover.

Have someone stand at the wheels as you move slowly to pin point where the sound is coming from.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:00 PM
RunnerMatt
Rookie

I'm pretty sure it is not coming from the rear. You can hear it right up front on the left side, especially when driving next to a wall and the sound echos off. I don't think it is a brake issue because it was doing this before and after I got my brakes replaced. It is just a ticking that you hear and it gets faster/slower with speed, but you can't hear it going fast because it is not loud enough.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:20 PM
iicon3

ok sorry to get back to you guys soo late but sunday took tire off and really looked over everything.my dust cover was fine and the only thing i noticed my calipers were a pinch loose.i tightened it and im not sure if that was the problem but my noise is gone.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:09 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Do you have center caps on all the wheels? Meanning the lug nuts tighten to the wheel. If you do , remove them and drive the truck. Center caps on the early durango's get a hair line crack and makes noises like loose brake pads. At low speeds or turnning into a driveway.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:17 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the tip master!

Quick Reply: when slowing down and reverse i hear clicking.