1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

4 Wheel Drive Linkage Grommets - How to install??

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 07:56 PM
yeehau
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 Wheel Drive Linkage Grommets - How to install??

It's a 2000 Durango 4x4... I was pulling an old boat out of a wooded area and decided to use the 4 wheel low when the shifter gave and then nothing. You could move it front to back with no effort at all. The standard Drive then wouldn't egage because the 4 wheel drive shifter was in the neutral state when it broke. I figured this out after I drug it home and got it in the air. Apparently Dodge installs the linkage between the 4 wheel drive and the transmission with the use of grommets that a linkage piece snaps into. These grommets rot in time and that allows the linkage to just.. .fall out. Thank goodness it got hung on the rock guard. So bought new grommets... and went to install them. And I'll be damned if I can't get them in! Any suggestions on how to get them into the holes? They just don't want to go...

Old 09-19-2009, 08:10 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran into the same issue and done away with the greenish color grommet and just used a simple c-clip to hold it in. works great!!!
Name:  cclip.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  14.0 KB

Last edited by schusterjo; 09-19-2009 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:22 PM
yeehau
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I considered doing the same thing, or even fabricating my own linkage piece. So does it rattle around with the C Clips since the hole is not a tight fit for the linkage to pass through? Thanks for the reply.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:36 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

If you want install the grommets for the truck, little bit silicone spray and a channel lock pliers.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:50 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by yeehau
I considered doing the same thing, or even fabricating my own linkage piece. So does it rattle around with the C Clips since the hole is not a tight fit for the linkage to pass through? Thanks for the reply.
No rattle... what made me use the c-clip is i actually broke the new grommet trying to get it in. So, i said forget about it and used the c-clip, works and did not rattle. just an option if ya not able to get it in.

Quick Reply: 4 Wheel Drive Linkage Grommets - How to install??