1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

towing big enclosed trailers. need advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 03:39 PM
craig_bci
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
the differences would mostly be in part numbers, if you get the same part numbers that he used they should bolt on in the same fashion as his truck has the same brake set up as yours does.

his procedure is correct, its just some of his facts about the stock systems that are off

there were only two brake setup offered on the dakote/durango platform, they are the SAME on each truck, same size, same specs, dan claims the part numbers are different, that appears to be something chrysler motors did to make life difficult, they actually are the same.
URGENT URGENT - have a MAJOR problem!

My truck is on the rack currently, and according to my mechanic, the ball joint from my 98 will not fit into the spindle from the 03 - the taper is completely different and it sinks all the way to the bottom of the opening. Does anyone know if the ball join for the 03 is the same dimensions and specs as the 98, just with a different taper to accommodate the different spindle and heavier duty brake setup?

I'm panicking at the moment because now I'm out close to a grand in miscellaneous parts acquired for this brake upgrade project, plus labor, for a project that may not be able to come to fruition. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Old 06-04-2010, 06:03 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

off the top of my head, i do not know, but i would imagine that the answer is yes since the a-arms did not change afaik

Old 06-05-2010, 02:45 AM
craig_bci

off the top of my head, i do not know, but i would imagine that the answer is yes since the a-arms did not change afaik
I went over to the shop, checked out the setup, and the lower ball joint - he had a new 98 and a new 03 available for comparison. The 98 in the 03 spindle sinks all the way to the stop (about a half inch deeper than it should be). The 03 dimensions, other than the pin, look to be nearly if not exactly the same as the 98, other than the zerk fitting location, and it properly sits back that half inch higher as the 98 would have originally in the stock spindle.

So, we've gone ahead and pressed the new ball joints in (good investment anyway, as long as this all works), and should finish having it put back together tomorrow. Only frustration at the moment is that the stupid cranky parts woman at the dealership ordered the wrong parts and I wasn't knowledgeable enough to realize it - she got some kind of long thin torx pins rather than the caliper bracket bolts that I asked her to order (and she wouldn't turn her computer for me to see the schematic or I'd have told her it was the wrong one). *sigh* So we're on the hunt for matching bolts, or at least something serviceable for a couple of days until I can get the RIGHT bolts and have them replaced on the calipers.

<fingers crossed> I'll be glad when this whole thing is over with.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:02 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

when this thing is over, you have to post at the very least, a parts list for us so that we know what is needed if anyone else wants to do it

im glad that it is working out well for you so far

Old 06-05-2010, 11:15 AM
craig_bci

when this thing is over, you have to post at the very least, a parts list for us so that we know what is needed if anyone else wants to do it

im glad that it is working out well for you so far
GMTA. I was actually doing that mentally this morning... there some strange overlaps between 98 - 02, and 00 - 04, but I'm learning that there is less parity between 98/99 and 03/04 the farther we get into this, at least as applies to the spindle and what connects to it. Was thinking I'd right it up and then one of you moderator types might to want to post it in a dedicated thread along with the link to the "Dan's Beer Budget" write-up, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Hoping to have the truck back today if all goes well. <dear God please let me not jinx myself!!! ::knocking on wood::>

Old 06-05-2010, 04:08 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

yup no problem, if you would prefer, feel free to pm it to me and ill pretty it up and post it for you as an 'official' thread

Old 06-06-2010, 12:46 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

In putted this thread to the DIY for the next person.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: towing big enclosed trailers. need advice