1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

towing big enclosed trailers. need advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 07:58 PM
andrew.maeyaert
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default towing big enclosed trailers. need advice

hi. i have a 2000 durango with the 4.7l. the truck has almost 200k on it. i recently bought a 7x16x7 enclosed tandem axle trailer with electric brakes. i just got back from a 200 mile trip, and i am a little concerned that the trailer may be two big for the old durango.

the dry weight of the trailer is around 2200 lbs. when towing the trailer fallows very nice behind the truck, and is stops very well with the electric brakes. my concern is actually towing it. at highway speeds, (70mph) the truck has to work VERY hard. the pedal is about 1/4" from wide open running about 3200rpm. i suspect this is because of a combination of a few things. mainly the the extreme amount of air drag, my 32" MTR tires, and the 3.92 rear end

i am wondering:
1.) has anyone else towed an enclosed trailer this big with there durango? if so how did it go?
2.) is this going to kill my engine and or tranny?
3.) is there anything i can do to the trailer to make it more aerodynamic?
4.) any other suggestions?

thanks in advance for the advice

Old 09-29-2009, 09:38 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What is the weight of the trailer when loaded? You may be approaching the towing limit of your Durango as your 32 inch tires changes the 3:92 gearing.

Do a search in this 1st generation forum on towing. Many of us posted some good info on towing limits on our durangos with different axle ratios but with OEM tire sizing. Custom tire sizing WILL AFFECT the gear ratio.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:52 PM
andrew.maeyaert

when loaded, the trailer will weigh aprox 4000 lbs, wich is under the towing limit.
where is the best place to get a new rear end. i'm thinking a 4.10. are they hard to change?

Old 09-29-2009, 11:26 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You have to change out both front end and rear end.

I tow 7,300 lbs 26' travel trailer. Very little issues unless it's hot outside. Remember that I'm built to the nuts!

1st are you running a EQ hitch and second whens the last time you did a tune up and what parts did you use?
Look here for increasing performance: Do It Yourself (top questions and answers) FAQ's and Longevity & Power Of Your Rig!

Hers some more info:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...-question.html

Gearing Ratio's and Towing
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-...hat-gears.html
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-...-question.html
http://www.allpar.com/model/durango-...fications.html
http://www.allpar.com/model/durango.html

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...-some-fun.html

Old 10-01-2009, 10:45 PM
gr8scott72
Veteran

Originally Posted by andrew.maeyaert
when loaded, the trailer will weigh aprox 4000 lbs, wich is under the towing limit.
where is the best place to get a new rear end. i'm thinking a 4.10. are they hard to change?
Don't pay all that money and only go from 3.92:1 to 4.10:1. Go to at least 4.56:1.

Best thing I ever did to my Durango. I tow 7,000 lbs with ease.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:32 PM
shortyR6
Professional

I am new here, and doing a search on towing.

I have a 03 durango, and want to buy a trailer to tow my boys motorcycles around FL to races. i was looking at a 7x16 dual axle trailer and even up to a 8x20 dual axle enclosed.

I am here getting an idea if its worth towing with durango, or just buying a pick up truck.

i dont mind selling the durango for a pick up, but its easier to know get some opinions on towing with my current vehicle.

its all stock with a 4.7 motor.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:38 PM
gr8scott72
Veteran

Originally Posted by shortyR6
I am new here, and doing a search on towing.

I have a 03 durango, and want to buy a trailer to tow my boys motorcycles around FL to races. i was looking at a 7x16 dual axle trailer and even up to a 8x20 dual axle enclosed.

I am here getting an idea if its worth towing with durango, or just buying a pick up truck.

i dont mind selling the durango for a pick up, but its easier to know get some opinions on towing with my current vehicle.

its all stock with a 4.7 motor.
The Durango CAN be made to tow good amounts of weight. I have beefed mine up and it pulls my stump grinder and trailer just fine. (7,000 lbs) That said, it tows that trailer NO WHERE even close to as well as my 3/4 ton Excursion does. The Excursion is rock solid with that trailer in tow where as the Durango still bounces and sways some.

If you are towing that kind of weight on a regular basis, you really need at least a 3/4 ton truck.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:57 PM
shortyR6
Professional

Originally Posted by gr8scott72
The Durango CAN be made to tow good amounts of weight. I have beefed mine up and it pulls my stump grinder and trailer just fine. (7,000 lbs) That said, it tows that trailer NO WHERE even close to as well as my 3/4 ton Excursion does. The Excursion is rock solid with that trailer in tow where as the Durango still bounces and sways some.

If you are towing that kind of weight on a regular basis, you really need at least a 3/4 ton truck.
that was kind of what i was thinking. we have 30+ race weekends a year, so it would pull almost every week to every other week.

i dont mind trading up a vehicle, but i just wanted to be sure. i tow a 12 foot v-nose behind it now and gas mileage suffers greatly, so i could only imagine another 3-6 feet.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:19 PM
gr8scott72
Veteran

Originally Posted by shortyR6
that was kind of what i was thinking. we have 30+ race weekends a year, so it would pull almost every week to every other week.

i dont mind trading up a vehicle, but i just wanted to be sure. i tow a 12 foot v-nose behind it now and gas mileage suffers greatly, so i could only imagine another 3-6 feet.
Mileage will suffer no matter what you drive. That's not the reason to get a bigger/more powerful vehicle. It's because of the stability and braking and longevity of the bigger vehicle while towing that makes it worth it. Extra power is just a bonus!

Old 03-25-2010, 03:19 PM
Jag's Toy

About how much money to change it so it can tow a heavier amount? Can any mechanic do this?

Quick Reply: towing big enclosed trailers. need advice