1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Aftermarket Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 07:00 PM
Augie Dog
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about headers?? Does any one have a set of headers on there Durango and was it difficult to install them? Just asking,I think headers are the way to go if possible.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:42 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The only reason you would need headers if if you have an induction system to warrant the headers and even the shorty's would be the best. Hell, even with all my upgrades I could run shorty's but I don't NEED them. There are a couple of users with them but unless you want to loose torque they are not advised especially if you have a free flow exhaust already. You don't want to burn a valve.

Shorty install is simple. Simply unbolt the donut flange under the manifolds then unbolt the manifolds to the engine. Then install the new shorty's in it's place. If you chose long ones then a rework of the exhaust is needed.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:59 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mids are the way to go on the 5.9/5.2s. Mopar Performance or PPHs. The DOC is getting a GB together for 10 folks on a run of PPHs right now. Outside of a special order like that, it is nearly impossible to get the PPH or MP mids. You will tell a difference. Long and shorts are not the way to go.

4.7s, avoid headers entirely. No value. Go cam and intake modding instead.

IndyDurango

Old 10-16-2009, 02:37 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I would only get headers if you are going to open up the air flow starting at the intake manifold going through the muffler. A CAI, ported heads, and cat-back in tamden with the exhaust headers will maximize the air flow better than the stock manifold to aid in combustion. More air in and more air out without backpressure is the goal:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cylinder_head_porting

FF

Old 10-16-2009, 02:58 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Although, if you don't have enough back pressure you can burn a valve. You have to have some back pressure. I'm running at 2.5 psi back pressure with my set up. Headers are timed exhaust to get it through the system at a better rate. This is why they have shorter and longer tube routings.

Without back pressure you also loose torque. What you want is the best of both worlds. Bring it in, combust and get rid of it without over dueing it either way. If one doesn't have the proper system they are simply wasting their money and time as well as motor.

For instance, Fascist has a 5.7L Hemi motor with lots of upgrades to intake. He has a longer camshaft lobe which holds the valve open longer and allows more fuel and air. He also has P&P heads which only increases this volume dramatically. He most likely has a CIA and runs 91 octane for these mod's due to heightened compression. Now he has all this air and fuel going in and compression is most likely in the 10.2 region he now has to get rid of these gasses. Normal exhaust can't flow well enough so he has to go larger diameter and more free flowing. So most likely he installed shorty headers, 2 1/4 down pipes, 2.25' X2.25' X 3" "Y" pipe, High flow CAT in 3" and MagnaFlow 3" flow exhaust (as seen in you sig). In this configuration, I bet he is running about 1 - 1.25 psi back pressure.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:50 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Man, I had to check to see if you were in my garage. My fault , some back pressure is needed as I said no backpressure in error. Hydra got it exactly correct again,
FF

Old 10-16-2009, 08:48 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

LOL......I've been around the block and slighty used!......LOL

You ever looked into the exhaust fiber heat sheild wraps?

Old 10-17-2009, 10:38 AM
1armyguy
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, so for a stock 5.2 from what I'm reading. The best thing to do is to basically save yourself some money, make your own CAI with a K&N Filter and just change the muffler to a magnaflow? Which magnaflow would be best for all around performance on the 5.2?

Man, you guys got it going on here. Lots of great tech talk without the bs.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:23 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

There are many mufflers to chose from and different soumds to go with. It depends what sound YOU like. Personally I like a nice grunty sound but not too loud so I did the 24". The lower size you go (lets say 18") the louder it gets at least for Magnaflow.

A CAT Back systemis the way to go but if you don't want to throw that kinda money into it just replace the muffler. Coupled together shoud give you about 1-2 MPH and lots more power.

Old 10-17-2009, 02:42 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1armyguy
Okay, so for a stock 5.2 from what I'm reading. The best thing to do is to basically save yourself some money, make your own CAI with a K&N Filter and just change the muffler to a magnaflow? Which magnaflow would be best for all around performance on the 5.2?

Man, you guys got it going on here. Lots of great tech talk without the bs.
CAI 1st.
Muffler 2nd.
Now the D can breather and exhale better.
3rd is the Fastman TB to now do more with the air you are getting.
PPH Headers 4th to enhance all of that.

Those are the 4 performance upgrades you should do to get more out of that 5.2L.

An M1 Intake manifold and a B&G Reflash of the PCM rounds it out if you really want to double up the gains once again.

... btw, Flowmaster Series 50 SUV on the muffler. I know there is a lot of gay love around here for Magnaflow, but let me tell you like it is:

PLACE: Carlisle All Chrysler Nationals July 2009, Carlisle Pennsylvania.

WHAT: Guy takes his newer Hemi Charger and pays $60 for a dyno pull at the show.

NEXT: Same Guy goes over to the Magnaflow tent at the show and buys a complete Magnaflow Cat back system for $800. Magnaflow has a separate tent with techs right there to take off and weld up your new purchase for you on the spot. It looks and sounds great.

CONTINUED: Same guy drives right back over to the dyno and pays $60 for a second pull now using his new Magnaflow entire setup on the Hemi Charger. He looses 2 HP in the deal.

RESULT: Nice buy? Pissed?

Go with the Flowmaster instead. We don't need a full cat back like in the example above. Our cats and pipes are really good as stock. Just cut out the old muffler, weld in the new muffler with a small piece of pipe and finish with a nice exhaust tip. Use the Flowmaster Series 50 SUV, NOT the Series 50 DELTA, JUST the series 50 SUV. You will feel it, hear it and know it with the gain of nice sound, nice power and not overwhelming obnoxious noise. Less than $200 installed, less than $150 DIY.

IndyDurango

Last edited by IndyDurango; 10-17-2009 at 02:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Exhaust