1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

overheating

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 09:41 PM
MAGIC84
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pepboys Hater, thats rich!!!...LOL!!!!

The weird part, was up until this incident I have had pretty good luck with them, granted I have not had any major work until now, and technically still haven't since the dealer took over. I had three alignments, and a rear pinion seal without any major issues, so before this incident, I would have gladly recommended them but oh well. Their loss!!......

O.K. I will step back into my own thread, and post a follow up.

Old 10-24-2009, 03:43 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

^ lol ^

Old 10-25-2009, 06:08 PM
rwiley

O.K. got a stupid question. I now think the two problems might be related. Still waiting on the radiator. It didn't get here until late and I can't pick it up untill tomorrow. I decided to go ahead and tune this thing up while I had some time and boy did it need it. I don't see how it was running on the plugs it had. The were burt down level with the ceramic. Changed oil, plugs, wires, rotary cap and button. Can tell a huge difference in the motor. Drove to the store, 2 miles down the road it got up to about 210 while in the parking lot and shut off. Wouldn't start again untill it cooled off. Could there be a temp sensor on this thing that acts like a safety feature? Drove it again until the temp got up to about 210 and same thing happened. Acts just like a bad fuel pump I had on a ford but it's funny that it only happens when it's hot. Could they be related?

Old 10-25-2009, 11:06 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The PCM will put your engine in limp mode when it reaches 210. This is the main safety feature. I never heard of anyone posting anything about engine shutting off if the overheating is prolonged over 210. That would not be a safety feature as you don't want the engine to just shut off while in the middle of driving in a busy highway.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:38 PM
rwiley

Finally, got the rediator and put it in. Amazingly enough I had to take the clutch fan off that I just replaced and put the old one back on. The new radiator did the trick!!!!! NO MORE OVERHEATING!!!!!!!!!!! HURRAY!!!!!
Thanks

Old 10-26-2009, 11:59 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Glad to see you got it! Thanks for the update to the issue.

Quick Reply: overheating