1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

CV Shaft

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 07:36 PM
Dman98
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the responses, will keep a close watch.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:25 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice eyes!

Bet it's waring right in there.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:30 AM
jaz27
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, guys I know this thread is a few months old but I didn’t want to start a new one if I didn’t have too...
Anyways my CV boot is still mangled... i was wondering about a thing the guy at autozone told me about... It's a blue snap on boot. I guess I wanted to know if any of ya'll heard of it or had any opinions on it...

Attached Thumbnails CV Shaft-photo0707.jpg   CV Shaft-photo0711.jpg   CV Shaft-photo0704.jpg   CV Shaft-cv_boot_kit_expandible.jpg  
Old 01-09-2011, 09:38 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

looking at the shape your CV is in, grease mostly gone, what is left is contaminated i would put a new CV in if it were me, even if you put a new boot on the gears in there will grind up in short order bc dirt has been allowed in., while it would be ok if you have caught it early enough, you didnt so a new cv is what it should be

Old 01-09-2011, 10:57 AM
swiss
Amateur

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Nice eyes!

Bet it's waring right in there.
I don't see anything it could be wearing on.

Both sides on my 4X4 are torn in the same place. It looks to me like something hits it during the suspension travel. To me if 3 other people have had this problem HERE, AND it happened to me also. I would say there is a design flaw somewhere.
Originally Posted by jaz27
Hey, guys I know this thread is a few months old but I didn’t want to start a new one if I didn’t have too...
Anyways my CV boot is still mangled... i was wondering about a thing the guy at autozone told me about... It's a blue snap on boot. I guess I wanted to know if any of ya'll heard of it or had any opinions on it...
I would say go this route, as I will be doing the same. Contaminated or not, constant velocity joints fail from lack of lubrication, keep them lubed and they may last a few more years. Plus the snap on boots don't require you remove the axles, and they are about 1/5th of the cost of reman axles.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:11 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by swiss
I don't see anything it could be wearing on.

Both sides on my 4X4 are torn in the same place. It looks to me like something hits it during the suspension travel. To me if 3 other people have had this problem HERE, AND it happened to me also. I would say there is a design flaw somewhere.

I would say go this route, as I will be doing the same. Contaminated or not, constant velocity joints fail from lack of lubrication, keep them lubed and they may last a few more years. Plus the snap on boots don't require you remove the axles, and they are about 1/5th of the cost of reman axles.
LOL.....I was meaning he found the issue!

Name:  PA290067.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  58.5 KB

Anyway, the problem here was the flex point of the boot. This is a classic fatigue fracture (worn out) on the main flexing point that was built into the boot. This is normally where failure occurs on CV's unless there is a ware point ware in this case, it was not the case. I meant what I said as a funny, meaning "not being serious".

Originally Posted by jaz27
These do NOT work as the boot comes apart as the glue never flexes. Been there and tried that years ago. Even if you pull the CV and replace just the boot failure is imminent (however deterred). Once the boot fails debris can enter the bearings of the CV not to mention the ware and fatigue of the bearing already in question due to the life it has already lived.

It is actually moderate to replace, https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...sh-repair.html

If you search under my name I do have procedures to replace it here in the Durango 1st Generation.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:39 AM
swiss
Amateur

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
LOL.....I was meaning he found the issue!

It is actually moderate to replace, https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...sh-repair.html

If you search under my name I do have procedures to replace it here in the Durango 1st Generation.
1ware

adj \ˈwer\
Definition of WARE

: aware, conscious <was ware of black looks cast at me — Mary Webb>

archaic : wary, vigilant

.example-sentences ol.collapsed-list li.hidden { display: none; }li.more-sent-link { background: none repeat scroll 0% 0% transparent; }#content .definition div.d li.more-sent-link a.more-link, #content .definition div.d li.more-sent-link a.hide-link { color: rgb(113, 114, 116); font-family: verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 13px; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; }#content .definition div.d li.more-sent-link a.more-link:hover .text, #content .definition div.d li.more-sent-link a.hide-link:hover .text { text-decoration: underline; }.example-sentences ol.expanded-list a.more-link, .example-sentences ol.collapsed-list a.hide-link { display: none; }#content .definition div.d li.more-sent-link span.icon { padding-right: 2px; }Examples of WARE

1. <he's ware of the dangers that await him in the Antarctic>

1wear

verb \ˈwer\
wore\ˈwȯr\worn\ˈwȯrn\wear·ing
Definition of WEAR

transitive verb
: to bear or have on the person <wore a coat>

a : to use habitually for clothing, adornment, or assistance <wears a size 10> <wear glasses>

AHEmmm.

Sorry Hydra, but I'm gonna bust yer ballz on spelling and grammar as long as you keep using ware in the wrong sense.

You give sound advice however and it makes logical sense that the flex a particular seam in the rubber boot and the fatigue wears it out. good points on the snap on boot kits as well, but you would think the engineers that dreamed those up would have done some sort of rudimentary testing of longevity since CV joints are designed to flex and transfer power equally throughout the range of motion.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:19 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by swiss
Sorry Hydra, but I'm gonna bust yer ballz on spelling and grammar as long as you keep using ware in the wrong sense.

You give sound advice however and it makes logical sense that the flex a particular seam in the rubber boot and the fatigue wears it out. good points on the snap on boot kits as well, but you would think the engineers that dreamed those up would have done some sort of rudimentary testing of longevity since CV joints are designed to flex and transfer power equally throughout the range of motion.
Oh my hell, are you really going to define every word. So I used 1 word in a incorrect way......OMG.....Grow up!......I got an idea, lets get this thread off topic too so the Mod team has to close this one out as well......Why that's a great idea!

I give sound advice because I have DONE THIS BEFORE ^^^^^^ read dude. The boot came apart and it wouldn't matter anyway because the grease was already contaminated anyway, unless you cleaned/degreased and re-lubricated it might work but it is already damaged. But if you go that far then you would pull it out anyway so you might as well replace the boot, but again it was already contaminated and bearing failure is imminent.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:13 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

ok guys, calm down or (hydra called it) im going to have to start locking more threads and i dont like doing that cant we all just let the little things slide, i try to let the threads go off topic a little bit as you guys please bc it encourages conversation and brings out alot of GOOD information, but if letting that go is just going to cause problems like this ill start cracking down and deleting anything not completely relevant to the thread, i will run the section like the *****, PLEASE dont make me do that.

Thanks,

Bill(shrpshtr325)
(usually)friendly Durango moderator

Old 01-11-2011, 01:20 AM
01 6.3L RT
Professional

have yu ever thought of going to custom made front cv axles ........i`m guessing it would depend on what you are using your Durango for and how mucj hp/tq yu have if yu have aftermaket motor or mods....but i found that the ones i have got made for me will with stand any torture and tq i throw at them,just my 2 cents worth ...........my motto is I HATE STOCK >>>lol

Quick Reply: CV Shaft