1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

98 Durango Transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 09:35 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

the one on the tranny is what it sounds like you replaced am i correct? if you have not recently replaced the one on the rear differential that is where i would start (im not sure if you have or not)

and sorry for the threadjacking

Old 01-13-2010, 09:43 AM
dctaz37
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problems. I did replace the one on the tranny and that fixed the check engine. The abs + pbrake are still on. I replaced the sensor on the rear end a few months back but the lights didn't go out so I returned the sensor to the store. I had replaced the sensor a couple of years ago and the lights went out right away.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:26 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

it could be combination of both those sensors going out, and we usually recommend replacing them together as their lifespans are pretty similar so if one goes the other is not too far behind it

Old 01-13-2010, 07:01 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
really hydra, he said it was the output sensor on the TRANSMISSION that had the metal shavings, NOT the one on the rear diff
Opp's......LOL

Those are the 2, other than that take it to the dealer.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:38 AM
Saineperf

One additional point to consider:
If your engine acts like it's going to stall as if the TCC is locked up, it is possible that your cooling circuit or check valve are plugged or partially plugged.
If cooling circuit is blocked, pressure will backfeed into the converter and cause the clutch to drag.

I have read this entire thread, and as your problems appear to be fixed by the sensor replacement, I would not have said anything except that you mentioned metal particles on the Output Shaft Speed Sensor (In the trans, LOL).

This could be cause enough to drop the pan and inspect for metal. Trans coolers as well as the check valve are susceptible to plugging, which will destroy your transmission. Intermittant check valve plugging due to particulant can sometimes lead to intermittant clutch shudder at idle in Drive.

Food for thought......

Old 01-15-2010, 09:27 AM
dctaz37
Professional

Thanks for the additional info. I replaced the pan and filter not too long ago because the pan was rusted out and there wasn't that many metal particles. I had the tranny replaced once and rebuilt twice in the first 60k km so my guess would be that they didn't remove the speed sensor to clean the metal. I had so many problems in the first 100k that I was sure that this truck would be dead by now. They told me I had to change my driving style because the truck couldn't handle it. Imagine that, you spend 50k and can't drive the way you want. Fortunately it has been pretty good after warranty with no major repairs, knock on wood. The problem with the tcc only happened that one time and it has not happened again. I am going to live with the abs + pbrake lights on and of course the cruise not working. It stops a lot better without the abs.

Quick Reply: 98 Durango Transmission problem