1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

What is this coming out my radiator cap?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 09:44 AM
bjamick
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya guys it's mostly alot of air in the system. The upper radiator hose busted, I guess most of the coolant spewed out of it. It never ran hot, so I must have gotten lucky. The parts guy at the dealership said that he keep those upper hoses in stock bc they burst all the time.

I added almost another gallon last night to the ole D. I filled up the overflow as what was in there was sucked down into the radiator I guess. Then I pulled the cap off and started it up, and watched it gargle down. I just kept filling it up. Then I just put the cap on it, and opened the bleeder screw. I let it idle for about 20 min, and drove it around for about 10, everything went well. Heat worked really well, and if you've read my other threads I've been fighting a sludge issue clogging my pick-up. I've finally got that one done after a nice engine flush .

Also what color is the factory coolant? Is it an orangeish red?

Old 12-10-2009, 07:24 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Green

Old 12-11-2009, 12:49 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Green Yellow

Prestone 50/50 Premix for me.

While there is an orange coolant on the market, it is not for any Durango. If your fluid is reddish brown, it is most likely rust and a signal that the vehicle has at a minimum been neglected in routine coolant swap maintenance. Opens the door for doubt on other maintenance items.

IndyDurango

Old 12-11-2009, 09:29 AM
bjamick

Originally Posted by IndyDurango
Green Yellow

Prestone 50/50 Premix for me.

While there is an orange coolant on the market, it is not for any Durango. If your fluid is reddish brown, it is most likely rust and a signal that the vehicle has at a minimum been neglected in routine coolant swap maintenance. Opens the door for doubt on other maintenance items.

IndyDurango
Uh, well i wouldn't doubt it seeing as when I pulled the valve cover off I was welcomed by an *** load of sludge. So no doubt that this thing was neglected in other things as well.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:20 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Well that's what happens when you don't do maintenance on a vehicle. Now is it sludge or mixed coolant in oil from a bad head gasket?

Old 12-14-2009, 09:43 AM
bjamick

Nope no blown head gasket luckily. My gf actually watched the gauges ( I guess I finally taught her something). The radiator is holding great pressure, even after I kill it. Just gotta burp the system which is proving to be a pita.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:59 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bjamick
Nope no blown head gasket luckily. My gf actually watched the gauges ( I guess I finally taught her something). The radiator is holding great pressure, even after I kill it. Just gotta burp the system which is proving to be a pita.
Do what youdid in the previous entry. But this time, park your D at an incline so the bleeder valve and rad cap are about even. Open the cap, unscrew the bleeder, start the engine and watch the filler tube. Wait for the coolant to move and add coolant slowly until the bleeder valve is leaking coolant instead of air. There, you've just burped your 4.7. That's how I burped my 4.7.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:31 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

I padded mine on the back......LOL

Old 12-15-2009, 08:55 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL! Did you change its diaper before or after?

Old 12-15-2009, 06:40 PM
mrwilliwizard
Veteran

how do you dispose of old coolant? i feel weird just dumping it all over the drive way lol. can you take it to an auto parts store just like oil?

and what kind of coolant should i use?

Last edited by mrwilliwizard; 12-15-2009 at 09:58 PM.

Quick Reply: What is this coming out my radiator cap?