1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

What is this coming out my radiator cap?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 10:12 PM
bjamick
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this coming out my radiator cap?

I'm trying to fill up the coolant bc the upper radiator hose popped, so I bought a new one. Well It keep on sucking down the coolant, so I looked in my manual and seen that my 4.7 D holds 17 qts of coolant. I was letting it run while I was trying to bleed it but I ran out of coolant. It sit there and idled for prob 20 min. The heat started working great after I added the gallon to it. Yet it still needs more in the overflow and rad. Anyways what is this junk coming out of the cap? Never seen it before so I dunno? Maybe I mixed the wrong coolant or something?

Old 12-09-2009, 12:44 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Flush all of that out with water prior to putting in clean, new coolant. Run the hose until you get a clear stream of water running through your system.

Looks like sediment from being low has mixed with what you have in there and created a foam since the level is low providing for to much air in the system.

You are going to need to change your coolant once again, I would say in 6 months. Additionally, this time and next, make sure to properly burb the system to prevent overheating.

In your future of automobile ownership, may I recommend a 24 month interval on ALL vehicles you own for a coolant swap. No need to heavy flush if you are on a 24 month rotation. The active ingredients in coolant will prevent rust and corrosion as well as retain a higher level of cooling capability. If you read your owners manual, coolant is mentioned many times in the maintenance section for an item that needs to be replaced every so often. American car buyers have forgotten that coolant (and brake fluid) does not last forever. As a result of poor maintenance, we have wasted many a sub-system, many a extra miles on a motor, many a radiator, etc.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
~Ben Franklin

IndyDurango

Old 12-09-2009, 01:44 AM
Digitoxin
Professional

Originally Posted by bjamick

I'm trying to fill up the coolant bc the upper radiator hose popped, so I bought a new one. Well It keep on sucking down the coolant, so I looked in my manual and seen that my 4.7 D holds 17 qts of coolant. I was letting it run while I was trying to bleed it but I ran out of coolant. It sit there and idled for prob 20 min. The heat started working great after I added the gallon to it. Yet it still needs more in the overflow and rad. Anyways what is this junk coming out of the cap? Never seen it before so I dunno? Maybe I mixed the wrong coolant or something?
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it really looks like you have a blown head gasket or possibly a cracked head. With the info you gave of the hose blowing, and the yukky bubbling coolant coming up out of the radiator, I would check for exhaust gases in the radiator.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:55 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was thinking the same thing as Digi. Get yourself a compression tester and start testing the cylinders for low compression.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:03 AM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

x2, take a peek at your oil aswell

Old 12-09-2009, 06:43 AM
bjamick

Ya I thought the same possibly as my gf was driving when this happened. She said it never ran hot. She had to stop and pull over bc a rocker arm came off and it had no power. I fixed that, and now I'm just adding coolant.

The oil looks fine and the exhaust gasses smell just like exhaust. It's been sitting for 4 months with low coolant and I've started it a couple times doing engine flushes. Now I'm getting ready to drive it so I'm adding coolant, also during the 20 min of just idling it never even got to the middle of the temp gauge. While I had it idling I took the cap off after I thought it was filled up and no air bubbles showed up either.

I'm hoping it's sediment like Indy said.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:47 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sediment has caused the color.

AIR has caused the foam.

If you were as low as you said, AIR was the culprit on the foam. With that said, how did it get low? A cracked head? Also, a cracked head could be where the AIR is coming in to cause the FOAM.

The suggestions for possible issues are inter-twined. Have it looked at professionally.

IndyDurango

Old 12-09-2009, 09:52 PM
mrwilliwizard
Veteran

how do you flush the system? just stick the hose into the cap thats on the hose? and where under the car is the drain on the radiator for the 4.7 l the manual says its under to the left somewhere of the radiator but i cant find it..

Old 12-09-2009, 10:54 PM
rebelboy
Veteran

check your oil for coolant assap

Old 12-10-2009, 12:17 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Well I think head gasket but it COULD be foam. Look at the oil for brown goo!

Quick Reply: What is this coming out my radiator cap?