1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 10:18 PM
kukyto
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help Please

Hi...
This is my second post for help and hope not to bother anyone...
I am in the process of replacing the TPS, this coming wekend, luckily I haven't done it yet, if I have done it, I will be thinking that my second issue was related to the TPS, which I know is not the case...

Suddenly my Durango SLT V8, started acting up like crazy...
Here I go:
Power locks not working at all, I can only hear a click...if I have the heater on if I lock the doors manually,open the passenger's door, have the dimmer on the brighter position, the heater shutts off.
The heater blower works only on highg speed and with the dimmer on medium position...Sometimes even with the engine off the heater stays on...also both lighters are not working...

My brother's mechanic check it for free, he is not sure what is going on, but he told me to take the car to the dealer, also he gave me a print out regarding this issue:
Dead battery and or ignition operated electrical accesories functions with ignition off.
Durango 1998-2000 and Dakota 200, bulletin number 08 10 00
He says this is a recall and have no idea if they will fix it, since my car is not under warranty...

Any idea if they will fix it under the recall?
Any idea what is happening with this behaviour in my Durango 98?

Thanks

Old 12-09-2009, 10:41 PM
mrwilliwizard
Veteran

i dont think that would have anything to do with the throttle positioning sensor. more of an electrical problem. The tps gives the ecu input for its control system such as timing, fuel injection timing etc.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:41 PM
rebelboy
Veteran

the recall might fix every thing but the door locks that i think is an indepentant system

Old 12-09-2009, 11:59 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

ok lets break this down a little bit for you

Originally Posted by kukyto
Hi...
This is my second post for help and hope not to bother anyone...
I am in the process of replacing the TPS, this coming wekend, luckily I haven't done it yet, if I have done it, I will be thinking that my second issue was related to the TPS, which I know is not the case...

Suddenly my Durango SLT V8, started acting up like crazy...
Here I go:
Power locks not working at all, I can only hear a click...
the locks should be controlled by the CTM, this is an item that needs to be reprogrammed by the dealer, make sure to bring your key fobs with you so that they are programmed to the truck. now, this is an expensive item so if it is just one door i would look at a loose connection or a bad actuator, but if it is all of them, then check the connections on the CTM and look to replace (sorry)

if I have the heater on if I lock the doors manually,open the passenger's door, have the dimmer on the brighter position, the heater shutts off.
The heater blower works only on highg speed and with the dimmer on medium position...Sometimes even with the engine off the heater stays on...also both lighters are not working...
sounds to me like the blower motor resistor is shot, it cost me $13 from the dealer a couple years ago when mine went out and takes like 5 min to change, not sure about it staying on w/ the engine off unless you leave the key in either the on or accessory position, then it SHOULD still be running, if you mean w/ the key out you either have a bad ignition switch, or a short, start by checking the wire harness for shorts

My brother's mechanic check it for free, he is not sure what is going on, but he told me to take the car to the dealer, also he gave me a print out regarding this issue:
Dead battery and or ignition operated electrical accesories functions with ignition off.
Durango 1998-2000 and Dakota 200, bulletin number 08 10 00
He says this is a recall and have no idea if they will fix it, since my car is not under warranty...

Any idea if they will fix it under the recall?
Any idea what is happening with this behaviour in my Durango 98?

Thanks

if it is a recall, i believe they have to fix it for you if you bring it to them, they may make you jump through some hoops and inconvenience you, but i would have them look at it,

BTW i do NOT think it is related the TPS, so start out w/ the TPS and getting the recall performed if it applies to your truck (check here http://www.dodge.com/en/owners/)

Old 12-10-2009, 01:06 AM
mrwilliwizard
Veteran

hey srpshtr how did you install the blower motor? cause my a/c doesnt blow as strongly as it did when i first got it.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:53 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Pulling down the dash. I don't think there's any other way?

Old 12-10-2009, 11:50 PM
rebelboy
Veteran

good luck pulling the dash sucks ive done it a few times

Old 12-11-2009, 01:07 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by mrwilliwizard
hey srpshtr how did you install the blower motor? cause my a/c doesnt blow as strongly as it did when i first got it.
dont remember mentioning the blower motor, but yea, you would have to pull the entire dash out to get at it

Old 12-11-2009, 01:26 AM
mrwilliwizard
Veteran

ehh i mean the resistor lol. is that under the glove box?

Old 12-11-2009, 12:31 PM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a write-up for replacing the resistor pack in the DIY/FAQ section on the first page.