1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

blower resistor wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 10:18 AM
450pilot
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blower resistor wiring help

Im in the process of fixing my resistor/wiring, and currently im second guessing the order of the wires. I recieved new wires from the dealer, but i had the old plug already off the vehicle and im not sure if im correct with the order of these. If someone could please tell me the colored order it would be a great help. Thanks

Old 12-13-2009, 05:28 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

If you havent opened the package or special ordered it from the dealer hold everything. This is what I did and you can take what parts you wish to but it worked for me and has been rock solid for over a year now. My Donor harness was a Dakota from a salvage yard. Here is what you do.. 1 Take a photo of your harness/
2. make notes about the wiring and ask for a 01-03 Dakota if a Durango is not available, the wiring color and layout shoud be the same. 3. On the Donor vehicle, you want to cut as far up on the firewall side as you can to give max amount of wiring. 4. ON YOUR vehicle you want to cut on the resistor harness side. After that is just matching up the colors and splicing. You will have extra but nothing that can shouldnt be able to be wrapped in electrical tape and zip tied in place.

NOTE I recommend a dealer resistor pack if your current pack has any signs of life then keep it in place for troubleshooting and ops checking. I would only use dealer resistor after everything is in place, wires spliced, etc... Then that should be the end.

for reference, The resistor rom Dealer was about $15, donor wiring harness was about $20. plut about $15 for supplies, if it works right you are invested in about $50 for materials and about an hour or two of time. Splicing is detailed work so pay attention.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:40 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

Try this link from a repair earlier this summer. Follow the whole link it should provide pretty good detail not only on background but repair.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...tor-issue.html

Old 12-13-2009, 07:45 PM
arkitek

Magic84,
I purchased my kit from the local dealer and they have 5 thick green wires and 5 thin purple wires...can I connect all the green wires to the existing harness? or should i try and figure out the gauges of the wires and match them up as close as possible to the green and purple wires?
I had a question or two under the title 'soldering vs crimping"

Old 12-14-2009, 02:14 AM
MAGIC84
All Star

Thats the one I looked at from the dealer. The dealer harness is pretty universal at least among chrysler products, but I had the same confusion with them and that it is why I went with the salvage yard donor. The thing to check for is before you cut anything is to inspect the harness from the donor and look for obvious stuff like cuts. brittle, frayed insulation, stuff like that. Read the link from the previous reply and evaluate what you think. IMHO As long as the wire is in good condition it should be fine. Remember inspect not only the wire but the connections of the donor harness at the resistor block. look for burnt wire, exposed connectors, dry brittle, signs of shorts, overheat etc.... IF all those are good then just splice into the harness of your vehicle.. remember again cut the donor harness as far up the firewall as you can to get the max amount of wire then install as close to the resistor connection that way you have some room for margin in case the splicing doesnt go so well the first time. I am not an electrical genius and I know what my limits are so the match green-green, blue-blue works for me....Guess all those connect the dot books and Sunday papers worked out for me after all....LOL!!! Good Luck, the link has more details. As I stated before I am not an electrical genius so I do not want to try and profess unknown wire gauges from dealer and have something go wrong. I would rather say I am not sure then risk damage to your vehicle. I hope this helps and good luck again!!!

Quick Reply: blower resistor wiring help