1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2002 Durango - overfueling/MAP reading

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 04:52 PM
hiddendurango
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MAP checks out - at least I think it does [see above]. IAC could be it, as I've heard it cycling with the key-on. But opening the flapper or a vacuum line should mostly fix that. Intake charge, I assume you mean the Intake Air Temp sensor. Also checks out with the correct voltage as per the manual.

Have to see this evening.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:14 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Starting to think PCM.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:29 PM
hiddendurango

I'm almost positive that it's the PCM now. IAT reading is 4.66v @30 F, CLT is same. Has now begun to intake backfire, as well. Compression, as stated before, is good, so the PCM is now apparently firing the plugs at the wrong times, too.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:51 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Take #1 plug out and insert a screw driver down to the piston. bring the engine up to just before TDC without going over TDC on compression stroke. Then place the spark plug to ground on the base and slowly manually turn the crank very slowly tell it sparks. Look down on the crank and see how far it is from TDC (retarded or advanced timing) and post the results. With the screw driver in the piston is used to verify the piston position in relation. Post as well.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:41 AM
hiddendurango

So, turns out that it pays to check things more than once during a problem hunt. [Namely, compression] Turns out that the passenger side cam gear managed to get installed without the dowel located in the recess, so the entire pass side valve events were behind by 30 degrees by the time I recognized the problem. Pull covers, camshaft, and have the old dowel machined out [was pressed into shaft to almost flat when the gear was torqued], put in a new one [15/64" diameter, by the way], put camshaft back in, and a little oil in a couple cylinders to get compression [was washed off cylinder walls by ether]. Put the fuel rail back on, spark plugs and towers on. Hit the key and it fires right up. I haven't felt elation like that in such a long time....

Now of course, the #3 injector has taken a crap, but thats relatively easy after a complete teardown and re-build.

Thought I'd let folks know the end result. We are getting REALLY good oil pressure now, no valvetrain noise. Pays to use a little compressed air to blow out those passages while the engine is apart....

Old 01-22-2010, 11:58 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

thanks for keeping us updated

Quick Reply: 2002 Durango - overfueling/MAP reading