1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2000 durango ABS Module Making Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Party Chief
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 durango ABS Module Making Noise

Hi all,

I have been lurking for awhile. Enjoy the site and have learned alot.

I searched the FAQ and have not been able to find my particular problem. The ABS module next to the master cylinder and behind the battery is making noise even when I turn the car off. It sounds like a fan and the module is vibrating. Interior brake light and abs lights are on after ignition. My braking while driving is not affected.

The battery was recently replaced(last weekend). I checked the brake fluid. It was a little low, so I added some, but the noise persits.

I have seen a bunch of posts about the abs speed sensor, but none of them mentioned the abs module making noise after the car is shut off.

Thanks a bunch.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:36 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Try to unplug the ABS sensor on the rear diff and see if it stops the noise. If so replace the sensor as it could be feed back from the sensor consitering is full of copper windings and the plastic could be damaged causing and arching causing the back feed.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:10 AM
Party Chief

Thanks, Hydra. i will give that a shot and report back.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:34 AM
jricci13

Hey Party Chief ... Just came across the same problem with my Durango. Came across this thread. Did hydra shocker's solution work for you?

Old 11-06-2011, 08:35 PM
whollysheet

Its the unit itself there is a resistor that goes and it stays running 24/7 unless you unplug it! go to your closest pull yourself junkyard and you should be able to find one i got mine for $20 bucks took me 10 min to change! make sure you grab the same unit that is on yours! you can unplug it and brakes will work fine just wont have the anti-lock feature!

Old 11-06-2011, 11:44 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The unit is called the "CAB" and you just can't replace it with one out of the blue, you simply lucked out on your replacement. You should stay with the same year and braking type whether 2 wheel ABS or 4 wheel ABS.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:49 PM
whollysheet

you can replace it with any one that is the same as you take out been working on trucks since i was 6 and im 42 now! so i know it was not luck its knowledge! thats why i stated to grab the same unit!!

Old 11-14-2012, 03:28 PM
joey_galindo1

i have a 01 durango with same problem abs module or (cab) $15 at junkyard just match the part number you'll been fine or call1-866-573-2740 they'll refurbish for $130 plus s&h with life time warranty your choice good luck

Old 09-12-2014, 07:24 PM
kscc183

Hope someone is still out there. I have a brake problem involving my ABS system on my 2000 Durango with 4 wheel ABS, every time I step on the brakes (high or low speed) the brake pedal pushes back and the ABS pump runs loudly, excessive pedal pressure is required to stop the vehicle. The ABS light never comes on (except on start up), if I pull the ABS fuse the brakes operate normally, even skid patterns are fairly even,

I have replaced front wheel sensors, pads & shoes, calipers, front flex lines, rotors & drums, HCU & CAB, properly bled the HCU using my scan tool and bled the rest of the system with new fluid. Any suggestions?

Old 09-12-2014, 09:10 PM
dxloat
Veteran

I had similar problem, CAB module would not stop cycling. I sent it out for rebuilding twice, once under warranty but still no joy. Ended up having to buy a used module off ebay by matching the #'s exactly. I have heard people on here that were happy with the rebuilding route but it was a waste of time and money for me and would not recommend it to anyone. I think the used module ran me about $100 on ebay. By the way im pretty sure you need a DRB scan tool to cycle the ABS for proper bleeding. The DRB tool is very very expensive and generally only dealers have them, congrats to you if you have one but as far as I know there aren't any consumer level scan tools less than several thousand dollars that perform this function. I could be wrong about the scan tool, if I am please post the brand and model# as I would be very interested in one I could afford.

Quick Reply: 2000 durango ABS Module Making Noise