1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Ball Joints

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 09:24 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Duranged408
If your digging in, go for gold. Moog all the tie-rods/bjs then align her.
i agree, just do it all at once and be done with it

Old 01-18-2010, 12:00 PM
stopp429
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah mine has all moog bj and tie rod ends. if it is the ball joint jack front by the frame and then grab the top and bottom of the tire with your hands and try to push the top of the tire toard the motor and pull the bottom towrd you it there is any play the bj are bad. the tie rod ends stick a pry bar inbetween them and try to pry them arpart if there is play they are bad

Old 01-18-2010, 01:21 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The ball joints are about 3 years old. The upper drivers side went and I replaced that. As for the tie rod ends they were done at the same time but the boot is cracked and the tie rod end is loose on the pass side. Also installed correctly.

It makes more sense that it would be a lower ball joint as thats where all the pressure is, although I pryed under the wheel, grasped the wheel, pryed on the BJ's, control arms, the whole burrito. The only thing I could feel is the tie rod end?????

I can see the wondering front end to the tie rod end so I will order a new set but other than that??????? Also I will try the lower BJ again cause it just makes sense??????

Old 01-18-2010, 01:53 PM
Dislander
Professional

You may have allready... jack it up, put her on jackstands, pull the wheel & put a floor jack right under the lower ball joint, use a board if you have to, jack it up till it just takes weight off the jackstand. this should put everything as it is in the loaded position just without any weight or binding possible on the ball joints. now move everything around & see if you can find it. If not, pop the upper & pull the drive axle, the c/v should rotate freely with no binding. If you do that & cant find it, take it to an alignment shop & check it on the roller tables under load. hope that helps.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:12 PM
Dman98
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep us posted on the outcome.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:47 PM
dscdad77
Default i had the same "pop"

I had the same pop it seems that you are talking about. When I had it in the shop the guy had my wheel off and showed me that there is supposed to be grooves on where the suspension sits down by the bj's and mine was smooth enough that while turning sharply it would pop out. It was going to be 500 to replace or he said he could file a new groove and see what happened. I optioned for the file and it has lasted 2 years..bbut it was the same situation you describe

Old 01-20-2010, 04:18 PM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also dont rule out control arm bushings/bolts

Old 01-21-2010, 12:00 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Both good advise.

When it stops snowing I'm going to look again. When it "popped" the whole pass side knuckle shook as it forced to turn out.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:41 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Update!!!!!!

Found the right (passenger side) tie rod end was bad so I replaced that. I had also replaced the upper left (drivers) ball joint as it was bad.

The solution!!!!!!

When I had my last 4 wheel alignment completed (less than 1000 miles ago) the tech didn't tighten the control arm up and it was really loose!!!!!! The front end was moving around and slamming forward and backward causing the issue!

Old 02-27-2010, 09:09 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Update!!!!!!

Found the right (passenger side) tie rod end was bad so I replaced that. I had also replaced the upper left (drivers) ball joint as it was bad.

The solution!!!!!!

When I had my last 4 wheel alignment completed (less than 1000 miles ago) the tech didn't tighten the control arm up and it was really loose!!!!!! The front end was moving around and slamming forward and backward causing the issue!
ahhhh . . . dont ya just love the competent techs they hire at these places ???????

Quick Reply: Ball Joints