1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

265-70-16 Goodyear Wrangler RTS tires?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 12:32 AM
craig_bci
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by schusterjo
Firestone Destination A/T is a great tire an has a high consumer rating..
Interesting thing about the Firestone's... never have I had a car that was shod with them, but after the whole Firestone/Ford Explorer debacle a few years back, I swore I'd never own a set.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:14 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

LOL

Ya me too!

Old 06-01-2010, 08:22 PM
Durango03
Veteran

Originally Posted by schusterjo
Firestone Destination A/T is a great tire an has a high consumer rating..
I have these on my 2003 Durango and Love them!

Name:  IMG00061.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  139.9 KB

Last edited by Durango03; 06-01-2010 at 08:28 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:44 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Durango03
I have these on my 2003 Durango and Love them!

Yup, nice looking tires... I have them as well an they perform great snow, rain, dirt an dry pavement.. Just cause a manufacture had an issue with tires does not mean they do not come back with better tires, Firestone is nothing more then a Bridgestone tire.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:44 PM
craig_bci

Honestly, and I'm not knocking anybody's choice in tires (or anything else as you'll see in a second), but I think tires are sort of like dating. You go through different brands when you are starting out... maybe you take what you get the first time around; when you have to replace them, you might try something that you think looks nice, or maybe you take some advice from Dad; eventually, you find your own taste, and that's pretty much what you stick with forever more. It's a lot like dating until you find wife-material. LOL

For me, I'm married to BFGs for my truck. It's what I recommend when people ask, and I've never had anyone come back and say they didn't like the choice. My Dad asked me for advice and then put them on his Tundra - said he was much happier with these than whatever he'd had on there before.

Tires, beer, women... all a matter of taste.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:27 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by craig_bci
Honestly, and I'm not knocking anybody's choice in tires (or anything else as you'll see in a second), but I think tires are sort of like dating. You go through different brands when you are starting out... maybe you take what you get the first time around; when you have to replace them, you might try something that you think looks nice, or maybe you take some advice from Dad; eventually, you find your own taste, and that's pretty much what you stick with forever more. It's a lot like dating until you find wife-material. LOL

For me, I'm married to BFGs for my truck. It's what I recommend when people ask, and I've never had anyone come back and say they didn't like the choice. My Dad asked me for advice and then put them on his Tundra - said he was much happier with these than whatever he'd had on there before.

Tires, beer, women... all a matter of taste.
Very well said.....

Old 06-01-2010, 11:57 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

I hadn't thought of that analogy but I guess you are correct. I had BridgeStone Dueler's on my 98 Jeep Cherokee, but when I went back to get them for my D they were unavailable so I switched to the Michelins.

It is a matter of what works for your vehicle, especially tires, sometimes cheaper is NOT always better.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:50 PM
Jordan91ulbrich
Amateur

My BFG ALL TERRAIN'S wore really bad on my Durango. I had probly 15,000 miles on them and got them brand new. now i am running GoodYear MT/R's and they are fantastic.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:47 AM
craig_bci

Originally Posted by Jordan91ulbrich
My BFG ALL TERRAIN'S wore really bad on my Durango. I had probly 15,000 miles on them and got them brand new. now i am running GoodYear MT/R's and they are fantastic.
Jordan, how many miles were on the truck at the time, and had you ever had your ball joints replaced? As those suspension components get loose with age, especially the lousy ball joints if you have a low-Gen Durango, keeping it aligned gets tough.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:54 PM
Fox Fader
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Food for thought.
There is a tire plant 30 miles away from my area where a lot of locals work; Walmart sell a tire called the Liberator, it's not an AT, but from what the plant employees say, a change of tread pattern and name and several name brand and non named brands use the same exact belt layout. That said, I have a set of Liberators on my G-Cherokee, and after 30k miles they are still quiet and have plenty of tread left. I put 2 on full a size Ford van I had this year and I will put four on the D soon. Highly recommended.
FF

Quick Reply: 265-70-16 Goodyear Wrangler RTS tires?