1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

odd start? old battery?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 12:34 AM
mrwilliwizard
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sludge wtf? lol

and now that i think of it. i had to replace the iac like 40k ago i think cause it was idling all funky.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:38 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JK! There's a myth that our engines are notorious for having really thick old oil, hence sludge. But it's just bs. No sudge, if you keep your oil change intervals constant and use full synthetic like mobil 1 like I use.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:56 AM
mrwilliwizard
Veteran

i'm thinking of going synthetic but some one scared me by telling me my engine will leak if i use synthetic. stock motor with 88k miles. think i can still make the switch? how often do you do oil changes with the synthetic?

Old 02-17-2010, 01:04 AM
mrwilliwizard
Veteran

and hydra - i took my air intake off a couple of days ago and my throttle body looks pretty clean . should i clean it anyways?

Old 02-17-2010, 09:24 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The synthetics has a lower viscosity rating than reg oil and when the new oil moves around, the cracks and crevices that used to hold the old oil may leak due to the lower viscosity. But I changed my oil to mobil 1 a few months back and no leaks( knock on wood) so far. I've heard you can go up to 10,000 miles from synthetic but I'll probably do the oil change at 5,000 miles.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:37 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

some synthetics claim a 15k miles change interval, but i dont believe it myself, id keep it at 5k, and if you decide to go more make sure to change the filter at 5k mile intervals other than that dan hit the nail on the head

Old 02-17-2010, 06:37 PM
mrwilliwizard
Veteran

ha ok thanks!

Old 02-18-2010, 12:07 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The inside of the air intake will be different than the outside. Take it off and clean that bad boy!

The viscosity index is the same as conventional oil in the same weight. The difference is the base oil and whether they use a POA or Hydo-Cracked. The oil must meet all the requirements of it's counter partners in the same weight category. The Fed's mandate that they meet certain guidelines as well as auto manufactures. However, because the oil bases are different than conventional's they have a better flow rate at colder temps and better at reducing friction therefore reducing heat and ware.

In Fully Synthetics they use better detergents. Basically, these detergents go into your motor and start cleaning it out! If you have a weak spot in a seal then it can clean out the deposits and then the seal has a possibility compromised. The other thing it can do is clean out the crap in between the compression rings and oil rings and in a worn out motor this could cause the motor to loose this (Seal made from deposits) and start to burn oil as a recourse.

It is strongly recommended that you use Fully Synthetics! I have 135k on my new (older) Ram and I just installed Fully Synthetic in the trans, transfer case, diff's, and engine so you do the math and now you have all the info you need to make that decision.

BTW<------ I change out my FS engine oil every 5k and trans, transfer, and diff's every 30k unless I tow a lot then every 15k.

Quick Reply: odd start? old battery?