1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

New with a towing question...help plz

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 09:52 AM
Jag's Toy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New with a towing question...help plz

I have a 2000 Dodge Durango 4X4 4.7L. I got a camper that is supposed to be about 4750 pounds dry weight I think. I don't plan on hauling with any of the holding tanks with anything in them. I will put the 'normal stuff' plus about 200 pounds of dog in there. I planning on getting a weight distribution hitch as well as sway control. However.. I was told by the hitch place that I couldn't pull the camper I got with it even with that. The camper is a 1985 Aluma-lite (Holiday Rambler). I don't plan on going all over... just a couple hours each way. I'd like to put it in one spot for the season if I can.. but now I'm afraid to tow it at all. I was told I'd need at least a half ton to tow it. It's 29 feet I guess.. 31 with the tongue? (I was told 28 feet inside, but when I tried to look it up for more info, all I could find was 29ft)

Can anyone tell me if I can pull this camper with it? Or am I going to have to sell my beloved 'beast' and get a different truck? I finally have a good truck paid off... UGH! I got the truck with the idea of pulling a camper with it to begin with, although I admit I had no clue what kind of camper, etc. at the time and didn't really look into any specs. I assumed that it could tow a decent camper because of the engine. I'm getting some people saying "yes, you can tow it... a lot of people tow campers with vehicles that are rated under" and some saying "you'll wreck your truck doing that, don't tow it at all". Glad I found this forum to get some real answers!

Old 03-23-2010, 01:45 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

you should be fine towing with it, the tow rating on these trucks is around 5000 lbs with the tow package, if you have the 3.92 gears in it you will be even better off, just make sure you are up to date on the maintenance on the truck, and make sure the brakes are working good. Just make sure that you take it easy, dont push too hard with it and you will not have a problem (the highest tow rating on these trucks is 7300 lbs with the big 5.9l)

Old 03-23-2010, 06:47 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I used to tow 7,300 with my 1998 D 5.9L with 392 rear end.

You will want to install a trans cooler if anything. The GVWR will handle it so your safe that way but you need to stay in "Tow" mode and try to keep it light.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:11 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe an electric trailer brake as well?

Last edited by Dans01Durango; 03-24-2010 at 01:12 AM. Reason: Said the wrong thing.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:01 PM
Jag's Toy

Thanks. I do plan on doing the electric brake (the camper comes with them) and the sway control and the weight distribution. I'm having an issue with finding a place to leave it at all season near me because of the age of the camper.. even though it's in great condition. It may leave me no option but to haul it when I want to camp. I really don't want to mess up my truck that I use to get to work, but I was told by one place that does the hitches that the weight it could tow was way less than what I read. (About 4000 pounds is all)

I don't know what you mean by 3.92 gears, though. The guy that towed it to my house (that had nothing to do with the sale) said that he wouldn't tow it with my truck. He thought it weighed more than what the dealership said it did. It came with the booklet for the camper, but that covers several of their campers, so isn't specific with weight. Anyone know if the weight of the camper is on something inside it maybe?

Old 03-24-2010, 04:13 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

it probably is, but google would most likely be your best friend, and the 4000 lbs on your truck would be without proper equipment, if you put the proper equipment on it you will have no problems towing the camper, besides most people who dont own a durango or know how they handle WILL UNDERESTIMATE their abilities,

Old 03-24-2010, 08:25 PM
gr8scott72
Veteran

Originally Posted by Dans01Durango
Maybe an electric trailer brake as well?
Some states actually require trailer brakes on trailers over 2,000 lbs.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:59 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag's Toy
Anyone know if the weight of the camper is on something inside it maybe?
Yes,

Look in the kitchen cupboards (usually the upper above the sink) and there will be a sticker that should have the dry and loaded info on it. If all else fails Google it!

As for tow rating,

Towing and Gearing
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-durango/198128-02-durange-towing-question.html
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-durango/197660-another-towing-question.html
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-durango/207181-time-for-some-fun.html
http://www.allpar.com/model/durango.html
http://www.allpar.com/model/durango-...fications.html
How to tell your gears:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-durango/210194-what-gears.html

Last edited by hydrashocker; 03-25-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:02 PM
Jag's Toy

OK.. maybe I should start by saying that reading most of this is like reading Greek. I tried to Google the weight of the camper many times, but can't find it. I emailed the manufacturer of it, and was told they don't have that info. (It's been sold to another company I guess). The links look like they go to larger and smaller engines, but not the 4.7L I have. Do I have to replace the gears (I think that's what it was called) or am I OK to just have the weight distribution hitch and sway bars? If it's going to cost me more to upgrade my truck than to buy another one.. then maybe I'm better off buying another one. That's why I asked about the cost. I don't have a friend that knows how to do this, and I'm not sure how involved it would be to have my mechanic do it. (He may tell me forget it... just get a different truck). There is a tow bar on my truck that looks like it was added after the fact. I want to get a pic and post it. It says something about 7400 lbs. on it. I don't know if that's what the bar is rated at, and if it is, what that means about my truck (if it makes any difference at all in towing ability).

I don't want to get the whole towing set up and then find out that I just tore up my truck. I guess that's my main problem. I'm seeing that some really cool changes were made to people's trucks that allow them to tow higher weights, but did you sink thounds of dollars into your truck to do that?

Old 03-27-2010, 07:47 PM
SumAmerican
Professional

www.rockauto.com if you check their catalog for your year dodge/200*/durango/exterior accessory/ in there you've got rear hitch rated at GTW 8000.. solves one problem..

Quick Reply: New with a towing question...help plz