Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Check for power at the fog.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:20 AM
tm985
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
hmmm i woulda said bulbs first too, if it where me i would just see if there is another relay under the hood which is the same as the fog light relay, and temporarily steal it to see if it makes them work

and idk if im lucky or what but the only bulbs on my truck (DD of course) that have been replaced are the rear brake light bulbs, all the others are the originals that came in it in 02
u just jinxed yourself my man lol

Old 04-05-2010, 10:22 AM
tm985
Professional

Originally Posted by 45AutoPete
Not to sound like an A$$ but when you try to turn them on, are you pulling the headlight switch out?
I see what you mean, no I pushed the fog light thing in, I'm aware they're not connected.

Then since I wasn't 100% sure I just tried it different combinations of ways yanno

Old 04-05-2010, 10:24 AM
tm985
Professional

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Check for power at the fog.
Would it be possible for you to give me some more info? What do you mean by this? I'm going to double check to make sure that the fog light switch is getting power if that's what you mean.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:02 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

hydra means to get a multi-meter and test for power at the plug for the fog light bulb, if you get a reading then you need bulbs, if you dont get a reading start tracing wires to find the break/short

and you are probably right, but considering the truck is 8 years old, i wont be complaining if i need to replace a few bulbs, once (as long as they dont go out on my way to inspection in may )

Old 04-05-2010, 04:30 PM
tm985
Professional

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
hydra means to get a multi-meter and test for power at the plug for the fog light bulb, if you get a reading then you need bulbs, if you dont get a reading start tracing wires to find the break/short

and you are probably right, but considering the truck is 8 years old, i wont be complaining if i need to replace a few bulbs, once (as long as they dont go out on my way to inspection in may )
Yea my dad was just telling me the other day when I brought this up that when he owned this truck the guy who inspected it said that the headlights are so gunked up that they might not pass me on the next inspection if I don't get them replaced

I was looking on ebay and they want some ungodly amount of money for the headlight lamp/casing.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:36 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

i dont think you will fail for the fog lights being out, consider that not all cars come with fog lights to begin with, but if your headlights dont work, yes you will fail

Old 04-05-2010, 11:57 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You can't fail for fogs being out as it is an accessory. You can try a couple of head light fix-it polishes to fix the foggy head light covers.

Here is a post over in the Ram section I am finished with for more info. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...og-lights.html

First thing is you need to see if you have power and ground at the fogs. Remember to take out the other bulb while doing tests on circuits.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:42 PM
tm985
Professional

i'm not concerned about failing for the fog lights, that's not an issue in Mass, I just want to get them to work because I need them sometimes. Also, I don't have the tools to test circuits or anything like that

At this point if it's something complicated like that at least I want to figure out what it is so when I take it to a shop I can tell them what the issue is right off the bat because I already have my back windows that won't go down anymore either.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:57 PM
45AutoPete
Veteran

Go to AutoZone and buy a cheap circuit tester that has a light on it. Unplug both of your fog lights, turn on your fog lights, use the circuit tester and check the connectors for power. You can also check the connector for a bad ground by using a paperclip, push it into one end of the connector, use the clip off of the circuit tester and put that on the paperclip. Use the pointed end of the circuit tester and put it on the other end of the connector. If it does not light up the circuit tester, you have a bad ground assuming that the one connector does have power to it.

Quick Reply: Fog Lights dead