1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

98 5.2 overheating

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 02:52 PM
chimaera
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 5.2 overheating

I realise that this is repetitive storey of overheating, however mine had bit different variation on it and in relity it starting to really p...s me off.

I have 98 Durango with 5.2l (318) 4x4 SLT stock engine with roughly 160,000 kilometers on it and its been faily reliable since day one. around November I had water pump changed cause it started leaking through the gasket and through the shaft. Untill about a month ago it overheated, luckily I got it back to the driveway ripped out thermostat and been good till last week when it overheated again on my wife with my kid on way back from shopping. Coinsidently how this might be related, couple days before that I had added trans fluid into it cause it started leaking it and my driveway now has oil stain on it.
Sunday I took the thermo stat out it just for test and whent for a drive around the block. Made couple circles and the temp started to climb up. Normally I would had expect to that the temp would had stayed relatively low.
Any way Picked up new thermo stat w/fail safe today going to try it out again and see what the results are. Also going to hook it up to OBD and see if there are any error codes in ECM.

Trans fluid is on the upper part of the dip stic, just wondering if possibly too much fluid would also overheat the rad and cause high water temp reading.

looking for help ANY or suggestions what to look into.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:44 PM
gzuz
Rookie

what is the status on ur Radiator? is it leaking or bending? is the Belt for the water pump correctly placed?

The tranny overfil has nothing to do with it...

Are u using 50/50 coolant mixure?

Is ur thermostat working correctly? they tend to stick.

Oh also check that the temp sensors are correctly plugged and placed.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:59 PM
chimaera

Thanks for reply gzuz

Did not think that was the problem though I thought I may as well ask as it is on top of the graded mark.

Rad seems to be fine, pulled lower rad hose and all the coolant spew right out so there is flow.

I'm using long life premix 50/50

I was thinking of the thermostat, hense I took it out but still o/h

belt is brand new and it mates properly with pulleys, and all sensors are plugged in as well

will do more discovery on the problem when I get home tonight

Old 04-05-2010, 11:47 PM
chimaera

Wife drove back and forth to grocery store 10 minutes each way and the temp climed even with out the thermostat in it.
Checked rad, definetaly no air in system
Had my laptop connected to OBD port, no error coded and system passes OK.

Going to get ALL 3 new fluids and filters for it tomorrow, other than that I'm stomped.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:09 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I realise that this is repetitive storey of overheating, however mine had bit different variation on it and in relity it starting to really p...s me off.
Actually this is not the typical issue as you have the older version.

around November I had water pump changed cause it started leaking through the gasket and through the shaft.
This sounds like normal.

Untill about a month ago it overheated,
How long sense the leakage did this happen?

luckily I got it back to the driveway
How hot did you let the engine get?

ripped out thermostat
What did you replace it (temp) with?

and been good till last week when it overheated again on my wife with my kid on way back from shopping.
What were they doing when it overheated. Idling, ect?

Coinsidently how this might be related, couple days before that I had added trans fluid into it cause it started leaking it and my driveway now has oil stain on it.
This could have happened because the engine got hot. Heat can make gaskets leak.

Sunday I took the thermo stat out it just for test and whent for a drive around the block. Made couple circles and the temp started to climb up.
This is most likely becasue your head gasket is leaking.

Normally I would had expect to that the temp would had stayed relatively low.
Correct!

Any way Picked up new thermo stat w/fail safe today going to try it out again and see what the results are.
You should have tested the new one to ensure that it opened at the appropriate temperature, however it was installed and you had no power to test it before install.

Also going to hook it up to OBD and see if there are any error codes in ECM.
The engine light would be on if there is any code to read.

Trans fluid is on the upper part of the dip stic
Have you checked the fluid the correct way?

just wondering if possibly too much fluid would also overheat the rad and cause high water temp reading.
Seriously doubt it, however if the trans filter is plugged it can cause the temp to be warmer concitering they both use the radiator to cool so the oil would cause the motor to increase in temp but I don't think enough to over heat.

looking for help ANY or suggestions what to look into.
Hope I helped. The first thing I would do is do a compression test and cooling system pressure test. Could just be a bad (New) water pump as I have seen many of those in my time.

Last edited by hydrashocker; 04-06-2010 at 02:11 AM.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:24 AM
chimaera

Thanks for into Hydrashocker.

the pump was leaking very slowly for couple months before I changed the water pump last year november. Since the change it all was back to normal till last month (mid march) when it overheated. So things where good for about 5 months.
It must have got close to red line cause when I noticed that the temp was climbing I shut the engine off and coasted back to the driveway as it was not far. Once I parked the rad cap blew steam. So it very well overheated.
First replacement was 180'F
Stop and go in city traffic

truck parked on level ground, not runnig
pulled dip stick and wiped, put it back in and pulled it out to check level.
you might be right about the head gasket, even though the ouside of the block is dry like desert it could be leaking internally.
Never done head gasket on this block/engine. whats involved and difficult it is to have it replaced. What should I be looking for in doing it.

I'm going to flush both engine and trans oil today and see if that helps. perhaps the filters are cloged or something. Besides this leak from the trans pan made a pottle on my driveway so it needs to be fixed.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:05 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

do NOT FLUSH THE TRANSMISSION EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

causes way more problems that it will ever solve, that said you are checking the trans fluid wrong, needs to be done with the engine running and the truck in nuetral (i suggest putting the e-brake) on level ground after the transmission has reached operating temperature (the manual says that driving 8-10 miles should do the trick)

Old 04-06-2010, 02:53 PM
chimaera

thanks for the advice on flushing the trans shrpshtr325. Oneway or another I still have to pull the pan off to put new filter and gasket on it. Oil stain on the driveway is bit imberesing.

I had been told not to follow the book instructions, not sure why it stuck in my head.
I'll try it cold tonight and then warm and see if there is any difference and how big they are.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:14 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

im glad you got the bit about not flushing the trans before you did it, too many people dont and then want to know whats wrong with there "recently serviced" transmission

and it does make a difference, if you want the correct fluid level you need to check it ias described in the owners manual, anyone who tells you differently is, well, like this guy >

Old 04-06-2010, 05:41 PM
45AutoPete
Veteran

Here is a fast and cheap way of checking thermostats while they are out of engines to see opening temperatures. Go out and get a meat thermometer, heat up a pan of water and stick the thermometer in the water and if the thermostat is a 198 degree one, get the water at that temp., drop the thermostat into the water and see if it opens up at that temp. Quick and easy way to tell if it is bad or not. Another quick way to tell if you have a blown head gasket is to put a radiator pressure tester on the radiator or hose if it is a 4.7 and start up the engine. If it starts to build up pressure while increasing rpm's from a cold start, it is an indication of a blown head gasket causing pressure from the cylinder to go into the coolant system which in turn will cause overheat issues.

Last edited by 45AutoPete; 04-06-2010 at 06:04 PM.

Quick Reply: 98 5.2 overheating