adukart
Record Breaker
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Glad we could help........

Old 02-15-2012, 03:28 AM
Evil Juggalo
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keeping this thread inline with another Sputter/die issue thats been kind of a minor nuisance for me and need a little advice.

02 Durango 2WD 4.7L
I drive my truck only to and from work, about 95% highway, ~45 miles each way, so all open road here in Ohio. At the tail end of last summer I got codes P0204 and P0207 which seem to be fuel injector codes, I tried the easy stuff like cleaners and giving it a good gunning to see if it was just maybe some dirt that needed to clear, but after fighting with it a few times I just decided to replaced all 8 injectors, flow match set.

Ran great for the last 7 months and for the last few months when I jump in the truck and get about 2 miles down the road to a stop-sign, it sputters and *almost* dies, after that, it generally runs fine.. It does this about 3 of 5 days a week. Its only ever died once, and has come really close a couple other times, but mostly just chugs down a few times then jumps right back up

Recently while cruising down the highway ill notice a small jump in RPM's (~200-300) but it generally will go away if I gun it for a few seconds..

Today I got one of the same codes as last winter (P0207).. Its time for this to get really fixed as a old coworker of mine wants to buy my Durango in a few months and I wanna make sure its gonna work for him and his family..

Maintenance History:
Replaced Fuel Injectors
Clean IAC every time I change my oil (~Every 2 1/2 months)
New Battery on Oct 31st
New Spark Plugs
New Valve Cover Gaskets

I read thru this thread along with a bunch of others dealing with that that particular code and havent found a clear answer. At first I thought it was just bad gas or something so ive tried B12/Seafoam/Octane Boosters and while the idle no longer jumps while driving for a couple days, it doesnt stop the chugging at that first stop sign. Last thing I checked was fuel line pressure to see if my pump was going bad but its still running perfect.

So before I start tearing things up again, and since Im pretty sure its not the Fuel injector (At least I dont think my luck is that bad), what else could cause this? I could be looking at this all wrong and it could be multiple issues.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:09 PM
adukart
Record Breaker

That sounds like a classic tps sensor with the rpm jumping while driving. Try replacing it and doing a pcm reset.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:30 AM
Evil Juggalo
Amateur

Originally Posted by adukart
That sounds like a classic tps sensor with the rpm jumping while driving. Try replacing it and doing a pcm reset.
Would that cause the code and the chug-n-die at the first cold stop too?

Old 02-16-2012, 11:51 AM
adukart
Record Breaker

No, the tps in these can go completely out and never throw a code. In fact sometimes you will get injector or misfire codes when the pcm finally realizes there is something wrong with it. Now it could die but not many have reported that with a bad tps.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:04 PM
Evil Juggalo
Amateur

Popped in a new TPS today before my drive to work and didnt get 1 jump in RPM the whole way (~55 miles), I feel absolutely retarded that I didnt fix that sooner. 25$ and 5 minutes to fix, lol. I've been dealing with that for almost 16 months now.

Once I can find a good deal on a new IAC I'm gonna pop it in because I have a feeling that the chug-n-die is likely caused by that.

The since the fuel injector with the most problems (#7) is the first one in line on the rail I have a feeling im gonna have to just suck it up and replace the fuel pump.. the pump itself is working fine but there is no telling the condition of the filter.. stupid built in non-replaceable filter.. I may actually just cut my fuel line and add in an inline to make that a bit easier in the future.. Anyone forsee any problems doing that? Plan on using the same style one my 94 Blazer had.

Thnx for the help

Quick Reply: my 02' durango keeps stalling at stops after replacing parts. *HELP*