1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Power window and door lock issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 04:44 PM
guruatbol
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power window and door lock issue

Hi guys, I am new here but not new to cars or Durrangos for that matter. Several years ago I had a 2000 D SRT which I had done some work to and, well it was sort of my late model hot rod. I currently have 2 classic Mustangs I work on and an F350 and Excursion I work on. This brings me to the 98 durrango we own. I live in Utah and it lives with my college aged daughter in North Dakota. I am not close by to fix it, but need to know what the possibilities might be for the failure of all four of her windows and her power locks. None of the switches work for raising or lowering the windows. Lucky for her they are in the up position. Also none of the switches work for the door locks. the locks work manually though.

She is also having AC issues and needs a new belt, but that is a new thread and should be fixed tomorrow.

She said she replaced a fuse and the problem is still there. I am not there to look at it or take pics, but can get her to log in and maybe post pics if needed.

I think it is a good truck, just needs some TLC.

Thanks in advance for help,

Mel

Old 05-03-2010, 11:49 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

Welcome to DF
The central timing module has been a problem on the durango's and dakota's too. Is there anything else not working? If thats all you have a problem with, try unplugging the IOD fuse for 5 mins and push it back in.Hope they work. If not, there could be a wiring problem.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:08 AM
liblib54

What is IOD fuse?.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:32 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have her bang on the drivers door window/lock command module with her hand on the door controls. Try locks/windows.

If it is not a fuse (your very 1st option), certainly could be the master switch has failed or come unconnected inside the door.

Also, could be the secret 2nd fuse box has a bad fuse in it.

At 12 years old, everything is becoming possible.

IndyDurango

Old 05-04-2010, 11:31 AM
guruatbol

Where is the and what is the IOD?

I was thinking the master switch. After reading the shop manual I found for download on this site, it seems to me that everything regarding the windows and locks go through the master switch. She is not having any other issues that I am aware of...I'll have to ask.

She does live in North Dakota and move with this truck from Casper, WY where they had one of the wettest rainy seasons ever. As I understand it water is prone to getting on the switch when the driver's door has worn felts.

I do wish I was there, I could troubleshoot it in a flash now and get her up and going. I hate my kids being so far away. I have two in the central coast, CA and the one in ND. One plus is that my new Son-in-law is a mechanic and can help my youngest as well as my oldest he is married to.

Thanks, guys, I'll keep you posted.

Mel

Old 05-04-2010, 07:33 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the fuses check out. You will have to remove the door panel on the driver door and inspect the wiring harness to the master door/window console. It may be as simple as reseating the wiring harness to the console.

Quick Reply: Power window and door lock issue