P0455 and Problem Pumping Gas

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 04:51 PM
mattyp520
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0455 and Problem Pumping Gas

Hello All!

98 Durango 5.2 4X4

I've read pretty much every previous thread for the P0455 code and am going to give all hoses and components a very thorough assessment.

About 6 months ago (maybe at the same time as P0455?) the gas pump nozzle would shut off when pumping. It's so bad that I can only hold the handle down maybe a 1/4", literally it takes about 30 sec and a ton of resetting the nozzle handle to pump 1 gal. It happens instantly too, as soon as you pull the gas pump handle it'll kick it back off.

I know that It is a vapor build up that is triggering the gas pumps' safety device, I just don't understand what the hell could be causing it. Is it possible that the P0455 (EVAP Large Leak) could be related and causing this? I live in AZ and now that it is warming up the problem is worse because of the increased vapor pressure from the hot/dry outside ambient air temp.

I could really use the help on this one because It was recommended that I look into a new fuel fill tube because of a possible bad "anti-syphon" device in the fuel filler tube/vent hose.

I'd rather not have to drop the damn tank and replace that whole assembly.

**The plastic fuel filler shroud that holds the fuel filler tube to the rear quarter panel is completely dry rotted and has just been hanging there after I beat the **** out of it with the gas nozzle one day for taking 15 min to get to 1/2 tank.

I take care of my D very well but I've just let this one own me for a while. I'm ready to put up a fight now.

Anything?

Thanks in advance,

-Matt

Old 05-17-2010, 06:28 PM
45AutoPete
Veteran

I tend to agree with the fuel fill tube being bad.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:34 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

i would agree that fuel filling tube is probably bad, or there is a clogged vent tube under the truck somewhere (there has to be one in the system somehow, but im not sure where it goes)

and mine will SOMETIMES do this, it is usually 'fixed' when the guy turns the nozzle upside down in the filler (any different angle tends to do it) (sorry, i live in nj, illegal to pump my own gas damn it)

Old 05-18-2010, 01:26 AM
mattyp520

Well thanks for the replies. Its a bit more reassuring when there is some consistancy accross the board. Gonna have to get one from a junkyard cuz the dealer wants close to $400. FYI the vent tube runs parallel to the filler tube and then actually terminates about an inch below the opening of the fuel filler tube. Gonna have to drop the tank and replace it in a couple days. I'll repost the results when completed.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:58 AM
45AutoPete
Veteran

You might want to check the vent tube. I have seen where those mud dobbers create their nest in the tubes and block off the opening. Just check for obstructions in the tube first before replacing the filler tube.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:29 PM
mattyp520

good call I will check for obstructions first. Thanks.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:10 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I would check the small rubber hose between the filler opening (just under the fuel door) and the fuel inlet hose (tube down to fuel tank) in the first 4". My old Durango didn't line up very well so there was a pinch there. (Note this "No Hub" (which it acts like) can pinch and create a crease. This WILL crack causing the crease to tighten down causing the fuel pumps to shut off because of the vacuum lock on the pump nozzle. Also note that on this crease corners it will crack (dry rot) and cause the CEL.

This crease has been noted on MANY durangos.

All this is would be a piece of fuel rated hose about 2 1/2" ID and about 3" long. It acts like a coupling.

Last edited by hydrashocker; 05-18-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:14 PM
mattyp520

Thanks for all the replies. I have been too busy to tackle this but I will advise on the problem and fix as soon as I do within the next week.

Quick Reply: P0455 and Problem Pumping Gas