1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Grinding sound

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 03:27 PM
45AutoPete
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He wasn't yelling, he went to the advanced mode and chose a larger font size. He did not have caps lock on while typing.

Old 05-30-2010, 04:37 PM
gettonna
Default Where are just the bearings[not hubs] available?

If front wheel hubs can be rebuilt, where do you get just the bearings? I've tried all the major Texas parts stores and online - but no luck. I use larger fonts because of my vision, not all caps!

Old 05-30-2010, 06:17 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL ya sorry i guess u did not have caps on.. perhaps i need ot go have my eyes checked lol.. Well really I had been up very long time when i read ur post...

Well u should be able to find at napa, oreilly, ebay ext.. Timken makes a good bearing for it.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:05 PM
45AutoPete
Veteran

You can try to find it at some of the specialized places that sell only seals and bearings. You would need some numbers off of the old bearings and seals for them to look it up. Up north in Illinois, they had a place called Berry Bearings that just specialized in seals and bearings only.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:58 PM
DurangoGirl72

Well we replaced the rear wheel bearings and the sound is still there Took half of the day to do both sides and the sound is till there. It seems like it might be a bit quieter but I am guessing that is probably more wishful thinking than anything.
The guy at the parts store said it might be the U joints so next weekend I guess that is what we will be replacing.
Hopefully we will figure the problem out soon and get it fixed.
I also wanted to Thank all that have replied to my post and all the great advice I have found on this site.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:01 PM
DurangoGirl72

Sorry for the two post in a row, but I was wondering if anyone here could recommend a good brand of of U joints?
From my research on the internet this brand seems to be good, but I was wondering if anyone here could chime in with an opinion.
http://theujointstore.com/high-perfo...anaspicer.html
I see 1,2 and 4,5 listed, but no 3 so I am guessing there are 4 of them ?
Do I want to get ones that can be greased?

Last edited by DurangoGirl72; 05-31-2010 at 01:04 PM. Reason: forgot info
Old 05-31-2010, 01:20 PM
45AutoPete
Veteran

Definately get the ones that you can grease, they will most likely last the lifetime of your vehicle if properly maintained.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:37 PM
45AutoPete
Veteran

Has anyone checked the pinion bearing for excessive play? Like I posted before, the noise will get louder in a coast mode and hardly any noise with power to the rears. The u-joints were the first thing that I would have checked and ruled out before the wheel bearings. Go over the whole drivetrain and check the front cv joints, u-joints, etc. The transfer case does have a chain in it also, you never stated how many miles are on the unit. The chain could also cause a grinding type noise (they will stretch with time). It is really funny how sound can travel, it can travel from the front to the rear.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:11 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Personally, I think DurangoGirl72 should take yours to a shop so you don't go replacing parts you don't need. In fact they could narrow your problem down real quick saving you time and money for a small fee if you tell them that up front. However it could be something very small and they could fix it for you.

Find a shop that has a little wait for those are usually a better shop.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:37 PM
DurangoGirl72

Originally Posted by 45AutoPete
Has anyone checked the pinion bearing for excessive play? Like I posted before, the noise will get louder in a coast mode and hardly any noise with power to the rears. The u-joints were the first thing that I would have checked and ruled out before the wheel bearings. Go over the whole drivetrain and check the front cv joints, u-joints, etc. The transfer case does have a chain in it also, you never stated how many miles are on the unit. The chain could also cause a grinding type noise (they will stretch with time). It is really funny how sound can travel, it can travel from the front to the rear.
There are 128,600 miles on it.
As far as the pinion bearing I am unsure, but I do believe my husband looked at it that as well. He really thought it was something to do with the muffler in the beginning. That was until he still heard the noise with the engine off.
Everyone we spoke to seemed to think it was wheel bearings, even the guys at the parts store so we decided to tackle them first. Luckily they are fairly inexpensive. Lots of work that didn't really need to be done, but at least I know those are good now. lol Hey I am just trying to see the positive side to the whole thing...This is learning experience for me. I have learned more about cars in the past three weeks than I ever thought I would. And I have been driving for a long time.
Thanks for the advice and I will for sure have my husband take a look at the messages when he has some free time.

Quick Reply: Grinding sound