1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Grinding sound

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 11:43 PM
DurangoGirl72
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding sound

I recently bought a 2000 with the 4.7 4x4. I noticed last week while driving I hear a grinding sound that sounds metal grinding, almost like break pads when they are worn out. This grinding sound seems to get louder and happen when I am coasting and it is worse when I am going down hill. I had the breaks checked and it is not them. Anyone have an idea what it might be?
With me being a woman I hate taking it to a shop without having an idea what it might be because the guys at the shop seem to think that because I am female I am clueless. TIA

Old 05-23-2010, 01:00 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Perhaps the hub is bad.

The brake shop should have been able to find the source of the sounds. Don't go back there, but do find another and have it looked at again.

IndyDurango

Old 05-23-2010, 01:07 AM
RawRam2006
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a hub assembly to me. Unfortunately those shouldn't b rebuilt. You have to replace the whole hub assembly on each wheel. Can get expensive quick. Lol.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:04 AM
DurangoGirl72

I was looking at hub assembly's at part stores online and it looks like it is only the front wheels that have those and the rear is just bearings? I went to many different sites and that is what it looked like. I am new to all this so I am sure that I could be totally wrong.
The sound seems to be coming from the rear. What side? I have no clue.

Thanks for the replies

Old 05-23-2010, 11:29 AM
45AutoPete
Veteran

Only things I can think of with it coming from the rear is possible rear differential bearings, ring or pinion gears, rear axle bearings, or brake shoes that are metal to metal with the drums. You stated that it only happens when it is coasting and what happens when you apply the brakes, does it get louder, go away, or still has the same sound? I have also seen where the pinion bearing will cause a noise when coasting but is ok when applying the gas. Have someone check for a possible pinion nut that is loose on the hub.

Last edited by 45AutoPete; 05-23-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:24 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The front have a wheel bearing which is about $200 and they CAN'T be rebuilt on a 4X4. Now a 2-wheel drive can be rebuilt and the bearings are taper bearings at like $20.

The rear "wheel Bearings" are just a bearing but as Pete states, there are many things that can go wrong in the rear differential.

I agree with Pete, we need more information?

Old 05-27-2010, 10:09 AM
DurangoGirl72

The noise does not get any louder when you hit the brakes. It deffinintly is louder coasting or going down hill. I have had someone else drive it and I had my head out the window trying to hear it better but it seems i just hear the sound of the tires more when I have tried that. they also turned it off and left it in N to see if we still heard the noise and it is still there. I purchased some rear wheel bearings and they will be put in this weekend. Hopefully while everything is taken apart we will find the root of the problem. Took the wheels off the other to double check all the brakes and they look good.
I got Timkin bearings which from reading here seem to be a good brand to get. I also got the seals and some grease. plus some RTV sealant for the differential and some 80w-90 gear oil and the anti friction modifier.
Am I forgetting anything?

Old 05-27-2010, 06:11 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Those rear axle bearings are a real PITA to remove. You will need to have a 3 finger puller that has a weight that you slam to pull them out. Tyey do make a special puller tho.

Look into this thread: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...c-lok-lsd.html

Now on the Wheel Seals contact areas to seal and seal lip I applied a small amount of Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic wheel (disk brake and muti-purpose) grease to lubricate them and also to create a non scared seal lip surface while installing the components.

Old 05-30-2010, 02:25 AM
gettonna
Default Front wheel bearings

Why can't front bearings be replaced without buying the whole hub assembly on my 2 wheel drive? I can see a retaining ring in parts catalogs - so why can't I rebuild my old hubs with new bearings and seals?

Old 05-30-2010, 03:18 AM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gettonna
Why can't front bearings be replaced without buying the whole hub assembly on my 2 wheel drive? I can see a retaining ring in parts catalogs - so why can't I rebuild my old hubs with new bearings and seals?
The 2 wheel can be rebuilt.... its the 4x4 than can not

(all caps in the internet world kinda is like yelling at someone, FYI)

Quick Reply: Grinding sound