1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

blower motor......

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 08:54 PM
needmoremoney
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blower motor......

just picked up an 8.5 out of 10, 101k mile '98 durango.....5th one i've owned & still have a beaten beater of a '99.
anyway, blower motor just 'stopped' blowing. test drove the truck twice, even driving once for 30 minutes, let the truck idle for 10 more while we talked, and the other time, a longer drive & longer idle. made purchase today, drove the truck about 20 miles, and made a couple quick runs. everything worked fine every time. then, i went to park it for the nite, started truck, turned on AC & blower speed #3. moved 1st vehicle, went back to this one & blower wasn't blowing. AC still worked, you can hear the compressor kick in and you can feel the icy cold air blow through the vents when you change the direction of ventilation. obviously i checked the fuses-all good. i tried 'fiddling' with the blower speed control-nothing. key on-off, tried several different things-nothing. had to walk away for a moment, resigned myself to parking it & going to work tomorrow in swealtering heat with no AC, got in, started it up & blower worked fine. shut off & restarted several times, drove around the block, shut off & restarted, everything fine.
(i remember my '84 k5 blazer would do that somewhat frequently, had to remove the cover off the AC box under the hood & clean the contacts on a 'resistor' ( i think) and occasionally replace the resistor.)
SO....any suggestions what to look for if it happens again? where to look?

Old 06-24-2010, 10:19 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

sounds like the blower resistor (either connections or the resistor itself) on the 98 i believe it is under the cowl, in the firewall, on the passenger side

Old 06-25-2010, 12:43 PM
needmoremoney

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
sounds like the blower resistor (either connections or the resistor itself) on the 98 i believe it is under the cowl, in the firewall, on the passenger side
any ideas where? how? can i do it myself or is it a mechanics nitemare?

Old 06-25-2010, 10:11 PM
needmoremoney

ok, how about the 'blower motor relay'??? is there one? WHERE do i find that???

blower seems to work when it wants to, which isn't always when i need it most.....

Old 06-25-2010, 11:30 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

http://www.mediafire.com/?vmuunn42zzv

the location and directions should be in that PDF

Old 06-26-2010, 03:19 PM
DJSheets
Default blower resister

Well, in my '03 dodge durango the resister is under the dash of passanger side. It has two screws and comes rite out. Thats what I changed to make the low, medium and high work!
Now a quection how would i get the air to blow out vents instead of just at window?

Old 06-26-2010, 04:21 PM
needmoremoney

http://www.mediafire.com/?vmuunn42zzv

the location and directions should be in that PDF
'no servers available with the requested data on them' is the message i get......:-(

Old 06-26-2010, 08:50 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

try it again now, it was just working fine for me (at the time of this post that is)

Originally Posted by DJSheets
Well, in my '03 dodge durango the resister is under the dash of passanger side. It has two screws and comes rite out. Thats what I changed to make the low, medium and high work!
Now a quection how would i get the air to blow out vents instead of just at window?
he has a 98, its different on the 98-00 than it is on the 01+ durangos

Old 06-27-2010, 01:41 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're having trouble making the air come out of the vents instead of the windows, you may have a blend door problem.Which usually means you have to take the dash apart to get to it. Like pete says, they're a PITA!

Old 06-27-2010, 10:31 PM
needmoremoney

try it again now, it was just working fine for me (at the time of this post that is)
got it now! thanks!!! something to do on my day off tomorrow......at least it'll only be 88 degrees!

Quick Reply: blower motor......