1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2001 Durango R/T - NO working AWD question

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 09:28 PM
VoodooCat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Durango R/T - NO working AWD question

Hello all, I am brand spanking new here so if I violate some well known code of ethics on forum posting, forgive me in advance...

I have been looking for a 1st Gen Durango for about a month now. Much of what I see listed as "dependable, no porblems" turns out to be junk and most of the good ones are two hour drives.

I found one 2001 R/T and looked at it today. It could be mine for $3,400 and it needs a few basic items (new speakers, trunk door handle is loose, new headliner, etc) 134,000 miles.

However, one big problem - it does not drive in AWD! In 4Hi it drives fine and the engine definately is running good compared to everythign else I have driven in this price range/mileage range. I know you shouldn't drive in 4Hi on the highway, so I am all but decided that I will pass on the vehicle but it has made me think of a few questions:

1) Assuming the transfer case is shot, what does a new rebuilt one cost? I see them online saying about $1,000 for the TC and a few mechanics state it could be a total of $2,000 once it is installed ad labor is added to cost. Plus any possible damage to related parts in drive train depending on how long it has been driven in 4Hi.

2) All the reading I have been doing makes we wonder if I should just go the 4x2 route? I will pull a jet ski, nothing much beyond that minus some special occasion if needed. I like the 4x4 lifted look, can a 4x2 be lifted safely due to having a different base suspension? I would like to put larger tires on, something in the 265/75/16 or 32x11.5 range. Is this fine?

3) Lastly, I have been steered by some to try to find the 4.7 engine over the 5.2 or 5.9. MPG is not overly a concern, I drive a Trans Am which sucks gas. Is the 4.7 inherently more dependable?

Thanks, and sorry for lumping a few questions together, but this is more of a "buying experience" question which will help guide me to my new ride within a few weeks hopefully.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:22 PM
45AutoPete
Veteran

First of all, welcome to the Durango Forum. Second, wow, you sure ask a lot of questions. LOL I would steer away from the R/T because it will cost more than it is worth to fix. The transfer case being only able to drive in 4hi means more wear and tear on your front end. If you noticed while driving it in 4hi, if you make a sharp left or right hand turn, you will feel the front end lurching. That alone means you are putting the front diff. and joints in a bind, which is bad. My wife has a 2003 Durango that is 2wd and I have 265/75/16 tires on it, it is almost the same height as a 4x4 Durango and it is cheaper to buy than the 4wd version. I have had no problem towing large trailers with her vehicle. The only reason I bought the 2003 model is because of the 4.7 engine and 5 speed trans. Later model 2002's also had the 5 speed trans. but only with the 4.7 engines. The 4.7 has more torque than the 5.2 and gets better mileage than the 5.2 or the 5.9. It is a dependable engine if it was maintained right from the git go. The 2wd version also has a nicer ride than the 4wd version since it has coil springs in the front versus the torsion bar. You can raise the front up a bit with larger coil springs and add shackles to the back end, but the ride will suffer because of the larger coils up front. If you want a higher lift, get a body lift kit. The choice is up to you on engine size. They are all dependable if they were taken care of from the previous owners. Another thing to know is that the 2003 4.7 models also had the better intake manifold for more bottom end torque than the previous years.

Last edited by 45AutoPete; 07-12-2010 at 10:24 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:28 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

ok if the transfer case is shot the cost would depend on how much you can get the new one for (or rebuild what you already have, stop into a tranny shop or two and ask)

4x2 is simpler, and more efficient (less weight/rolling resistance to push around) if you live in an area where you will not need it (id say most of the country fits that, jersey and south, draw a line) but this is up to you and your comfort level driving in the snow

the largest tires that will fit on these trucks in stock form without rubbing is 31 (not sure on the 3 part code, but some of the trucks came with 31's from the factory)

the 4.7 is the most efficient engine, most dependable is yet to be proven since it is such a new engine (Chrysler motors started using it in 98 or 99, dodge in 00) so if you want efficiency, get the 4.7(the only advantage reliability wise is the transmission, but that only qualifies on 02+ since the use the same trans as the new 5.7 hemi), the 5.9 is the favorite, with the most potential for building up if you are into that, the 4.7 aftermarket is . . . lacking at best , not a bad engine, but if you want to modify it stay away. Also keep in mind that the 5.2/5.9 series engines are time proven to last, with some over 300k without a rebuild (ok i have only heard of one personally, but im sure there are more out there) and many over 200k.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:48 PM
VoodooCat

Thanks for the replies AutoPete and Shrpshtr!

Lol, yes I ask a lot of questions. I've been reading these forums for about a week but it came down to the test drive today where I simply had to ask questions since so much is rolling around in my head about this or that, 4x4 or 4x2, etc etc. Normally I would ask seperate questions in seperate threads, but since this is sort of the pre-purchase mind screw moment, I figured dumping it all in one was more appropriate than starting a bunch of threads! I come from the "no question is a stupid question unless it is not asked" mentality when it comes to buying a vehicle. You guys know this stuff, I don't, so I might as well take advantage of your knowledge and trust what your experience can relay to me!

Thanks to both of you for the insight on the engines/transmissions and the 2wd option for a lift with bigger tires.

I live in Florida, this will be pulling a jet ski most often so the 2wd should due the trick. Most boat ramps are cement, wet but cement nontheless. A few are sand but I guess I should stay with what I need 95% of the drive time rather than prepare for the sand boat ramp that I may or may not ever go to.

I'll update my profile with the state info... forgot to do that earlier.

Thanks again guys!

Quick Reply: 2001 Durango R/T - NO working AWD question