Grinding, groaning, creeking...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 10:56 PM
samnbensdad
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding, groaning, creeking...

02 Durango, 5.9L, AWD, 150k...

How do I determine if I have bad wheel bearings vs. cv-joints vs. ball joints vs. etc...?

My Durango makes a grinding or groaning noise when I turn either direction at low speeds... pulling into parking spaces or making u-turns are rediculous. I also get a grinding noise over bumps... pulling into my uphill driveway or speedbumps. Also, not sure if its related but, occasionally I get a grind/vibration for about 1-2 seconds between 35-50 mph.

I have tried the usual testing for ball joints & wheel bearing by manually rock side-to-side or back and forth with the tires jacked up. They don't seem to move.

These issues have gone on for over a year now. I can't find a mechanic that is smart enought to figure it out. I was told by a dealer mechanic that he thought it was ball joints, but they were replace with the recall. Also, I have a receipt showing that Firestone replace the rack & pinion a few years ago.

Any thoughts before I replace my entire front end piece by piece?

Old 07-22-2010, 10:58 PM
jake7
All Star

I'm interested in what people say...I also get some funky noises when turning at low speeds...nothing over speed bumps like you though etc

Old 07-22-2010, 11:20 PM
Frankenstein811

Well, I can tell you from personal experience of both the same problem and the same exact truck, that you ain't gonna like it. The top 3 culprits that I found were bad and had to replace were.... 1. The CV Joints. 2. Hub assembly. 3. This was a pain in the tail.... the front propeller shaft (driveshaft).

Old 07-22-2010, 11:59 PM
samnbensdad
Captain

I just replaced the front propeller shaft. It started making a crazy noise a few months ago. It would have been much easier with a lift. I kept one wheel jacked up and the transfer case in neutral (emergency brake and wheel blocks of course). That made it much easier to spin the shaft to get to those bolts. I had my wife step on the brake when I needed to break or tighten the bolts. The tread lock tape still made it tough though. My next chore will be cv joints I guess.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:29 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

wheel hub is more likely in my experience, from what you are describing (especially the noise in turns)

Old 07-23-2010, 06:45 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

+1

Sounds like a wheel bearing.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:27 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Take it in to a tire shop for an alignment. When they can't because stuff is all whack, they will tell you want is wrong since they want to fix it for you.

IndyD

Old 07-24-2010, 12:36 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

+1 on that!

Even if you say no and I will do it myself, they will not charge you and will help you in figuring out the issue.

Quick Reply: Grinding, groaning, creeking...