1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2001 46RE in a 1999 Durango - progress report

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 10:07 PM
Computerjnkman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok all. This will be my last post on this subject (hopefully).

Tonight I got the Durango on the road. Come to find out I was on the right track. There was a 20amp fuse in the "Power Distribution Center" Under the Hood.

I Put in a new fuse. Reset the PCM, and it fired up with no Dummy light.

Drove it around a bit and all seems to be on the Up and Up.

So, for a recap on the project for anyone who wants to go and do something crazy like put a 2001 46re into a 1999 vehicle. There are really only two issues that will need to be worked out.

1.) The 1999 uses a 3-pin Neutral Safety Switch. The 2001 uses a 5-pin Transmission Range Sensor. And unfortunately, the new, 5-pin switch uses a 1" thread, instead of a 3/4". So, you will need the Sonnax Neutral Safety switch adaptor #22179-06K.

To use the old Neutral Safety switch, you have to drop out the Valve body to pull out the Manual Lever Cam, and replace it with the old style.

After that, the Neutral safety switch can be used in the Newer model Case.

The other issue is with the Governor Pressure Sensor. The New Transmission has a new version of this sensor. It needs to be changed to the older style Governor Pressure sensor. But to do this, you will also need to replace the Wire Harness that is in the transmission. Because the plug styles between the two switches are different. Luckily they are both 4 wire connectors, so I just took the plugs apart and reused the parts I already had.

Other than that, the Project went ok. I have no other variations that I can think of.

Thank you for all the pointers. I am sure I will be around. In fact....I am going to post my next post right now!

Old 07-29-2010, 10:09 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Send a PM to master tech

Old 12-18-2011, 10:25 PM
bmgraver

I don't know if this is helpful but here is the experience i just had with my 46RE. I replaced the 46RE in my 1999 1500 pickup with a 46RE from a 2000 1500 van. My OD off light and trans temp light would not go off, therefor I had no overdrive. I found that I had to replace the Governor pressure sensor AND harness out of the 2000 with my original sensor and harness from my 1999. Trying to splice in the old one would not work. Once I did that all was well and it runs great. Good luck

Old 01-20-2012, 11:26 AM
mikeausil

Computerjnkman, so u just switched the plugs themselves by pulling pins out of each and not swapping od/lockup. Bmgraver do u think because u went the other way u couldn't splice the two also did u change the od /lockup. Thanks guys

Old 04-06-2014, 12:38 PM
IROCanR/T
Default Digging this up again.

I have a similar dilemma but in the opposite order. Putting a pre-'01 46re into my '02 Ram.

Is there a harness adapter for the NSS/Range selector? And what of the governor pressure sensor?

Help me Obi-Wan...you're my only hope. :-(

Last edited by IROCanR/T; 04-06-2014 at 12:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-08-2014, 05:36 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Never heard of an adaptor per sea. For that matter Ram to Durango, I've heard there can be many differences so who knows.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:05 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IROCanR/T
I have a similar dilemma but in the opposite order. Putting a pre-'01 46re into my '02 Ram.

Is there a harness adapter for the NSS/Range selector? And what of the governor pressure sensor?

Help me Obi-Wan...you're my only hope. :-(

2002 is when the Ram went from 2nd gen to 3rd gen. That being said, i would assume you would be running into more headaches than it may be worth. I am sure most of the connectors are probably different.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:43 AM
IROCanR/T

Old School...yep...The Ram changed in '02 to 3rd gen for 1500's, and in '03, the Hemi came to play in them as well, replacing the tried and true 360/5.9. But the neutral safety switch we knew for decades went away after '00, getting replaced in '01, by the TRS. Everything else about them is merely semantics. Brackets and other controls are easily swapped. I did all this on mine...then I found the TRS/NSS issue. Other than that, it was ready to go.

I have since learned that it is fairly easy to put a TRS equipped trans into a truck that had the old NSS to start with by purchasing a $25 Sonnex adapter and swapping the internal lever from the TRS type to the NSS type. No headaches required. But there is no current adaptation to put an older, NSS equipped trans into a truck with the TRS equipment. Frustrating. So my original trans is now in for rebuild/repair. Headaches to be sure, for my scenario.

Thanks for the input and my apologies for digging up an older thread. But now, hopefully, anyone else that was not aware of these things will find this thread before spending any money unnessesarily.

And Computerjnkman...you can always do like I did when I found my pan had rusted through. I bought a new pan, drilled it and welded a castle nut to the inside (upside down) and then installed a readily available drain plug. NO MORE WATERFALL OF FLUID when pulling the pan!

Just be sure to place the drain carefully, so as not to interfere with any operations. Mine is towards the front of the pan and centered. Works like a charm!!

Old 04-12-2014, 11:45 AM
IROCanR/T

And one more thing while I am here...if anyone in the Toledo, Ohio area needs a good 46re for a pre-'01, pre-TRS truck, let me know. Message me and I will give you the particulars. Also going to post in classifieds, craigslist, etc. ;-)

Last edited by IROCanR/T; 04-12-2014 at 11:47 AM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: 2001 46RE in a 1999 Durango - progress report