1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

yet another blower problem...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 03:50 PM
evesdropper
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yet another blower problem (not resistor)...

2003 Durango SXT
4x4
4.7L

New guy here. Already I have found out several things about my new-to-me Durango. Here is my problem:

Previous owner stated the blower quit working a month or so ago. His fix was to add a toggle switch and run power directly to the blower motor. I replaced the Blower motor resitor yesterday but am left with a question about how to un-fix what he has done.

To put in this switch, he cut the motor connector and harness connector off and they are long gone. He then connected a 12v line directly to the motor and ran a ground. I have un-done the splice and switch leaving me with a Black and Green wire coming out of the blower. The harness has a Blue/yellow and Green wire. Which goes to which? This should be simple but I dont want to blow the motor by wiring it backwards.

12v to the fan definately makes it work but it sounded like a fire hazard waiting to happen so that is why i am removing all this and reverting to normal.

He assures me that the main fan switch and harness are unmolested past this point. Any suggestions as to what to check once this is wired up if it does not work?

Thanks!

Last edited by evesdropper; 07-27-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:00 PM
evesdropper
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Impatience got the best of me and I tried connecting the motor to both ways and it didnt work in any switch position. At this point I figure I have a short in the harness someplace. No boneyards are available for a donor harness.

Can someone provide the part number for the harness I need to splice in? It is really dang hot here and we are going on vacation in a couple days. I would really like to get this fixed.

Thanks.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:32 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

From switch (+) is DG and out of heater is BD/YB or other is to the resistor block.

On the harness, if the slide lock is on the top with the lever to the left, and while looking at it the green is on the right (away from the slide lock handle). The other end goes to the resistor block (closest to the handle on the slide lock).

You can check continuity or resistance between the Green wire as it should be hot with 12 volts. The other side is the resistor which might be the issue. One way to check would be if you have hot on the green wire and ground the other end then you should have "High" and the issue is a resistor or wiring from the blower out through the resistor.

Quick Reply: yet another blower problem...