1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Burning Smell From Hood???? Please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 11:02 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ARoque912
I took it back to the dealer today, cuz its just getting worse. They're going to do the head job but they want me to bring it in on monday and they said i can pick it up tuesday. They're going to order a brand new head so hopefully this issue will be done with.
One day for a 4.7L? ............Ya right!

Count on at least 2-3 days! When you get it back make sure you drive it home and let it cool off and that's it! Then drive it no more than 50 miles and cool. Then drive about 450 miles (so so) VERY easy. Then your good to go.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:25 PM
rob[GL]
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was there ever any solution to this problem?

I find myself in a *very* similar situation!

I just purchased a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT+ 5.9L V8 from a small dealer here on the far side of town. I've only owned the truck about a week, and yesterday I noticed a burning smell coming from under the hood. The smell is strongest from the drivers side of the engine compartment and I can't for the life of me see anything wrong.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:21 PM
ARoque912

Yea i ended up fixing the problem myself turned out the dealership "techs" were shady n literally f**ked up my truck! I replaced 4 injectors (3,5,6,8) Had to repair the harness and replace all the inj seals now my truck is running like a champ!

Old 03-25-2011, 07:27 AM
CtownChris
Rookie

Glad it's running great. When is baby due?

Old 03-25-2011, 09:13 AM
atthewmartin114
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is there any noise coming from that side of the truck? most of the time when an injector code comes up like that its the wiring not that actually injector. if you go to an auto parts store and buy a set of noid lights you can plug them in to the injector connections they will light up and or pulse depending on style you buy. also should look and see if maybe the cap is broke on the #5 post. this would have a burning plactis smell because the coil ark is burning the inside of the cap. easiest way to find you loss of spark is to park in a dark area and spray a light mist of water over the plug wires. (water bottle not a hose) it normall will look like a cool blue and yellow light show. cylicder 5 is on the drivers side. but i would be checking all if possable.
good luck

Old 03-25-2011, 02:07 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ARoque912
turned out the dealership "techs" were shady n literally f**ked up my truck!
Sounds like a classic "Stealership".

Old 03-31-2011, 11:39 AM
rob[GL]
All Star

Well... My issue wasn't nearly as complex. Turns out the low-pressure coolant return hose has just come un-clipped from its holder, and was laying against the serpentine belt... the friction was causing the rubber to burn and smell disgusting.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:49 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

glad it was something stupid, now i would personally change both the return hose and the serpentine belt just for peace of mind

Old 03-31-2011, 01:17 PM
rob[GL]
All Star

Yeah. As I said, I had just bought the truck from a shady little dealership, and it was booked in for service anyways. I was pretty sure nothing serious was wrong, simply due to the fact that, nothing exploded and the drive wasn't affected at all.

The first thing I did was an oil change, because when I bought the truck, the dipstick handle was busted off... And I couldn't even check the oil. So $20 later I had a new dipstick from the dealer. Oil change went smooth, truck runs VERY well.

Then I had a transmission fluid flush done by my mechanic with synthetic fluid, it was expensive, but the tranny fluid was quite dark.

I have maintenance records for the first 100,000 km's, but between 100-150Km's there's no records whatsoever. So I figured it was due diligence to get this stuff looked at.

And while they were doing the tranny flush, I had them put on a new belt, it was one of the only things noticed on the pre-purchase inspection I had them do. It was cracked and needed replacement anyways.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:40 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by rob[GL]
Then I had a transmission fluid flush done by my mechanic with synthetic fluid, it was expensive, but the tranny fluid was quite dark.
this was a big mistake, did you read thru any of the threads on here about trans problems???

the transmission flush causes 10000 times more problems by forcing all the contaminants thru the filters under pressure and then it is back into the system, a fluid/filter change is the best bet, if the fluid is really bad a transmission PURGE is acceptable to change all the fluid, but a FLUSH is a HUGE NO NO

Quick Reply: Burning Smell From Hood???? Please help