1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Burning Smell From Hood???? Please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 05:56 AM
ARoque912
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Burning Smell From Hood???? Please help

I just bought a 2000 dodge durango slt with a V8 4.7L engine. I bought the car from a dealer and when i picked it up they had apparently done a lot of work to the vehicle. Brakes, tuneup, oil change, light work, master cylinder, and a few extra things. When i picked up the car this past fri n drove off i notice a burning smell. It smelled as if wires were burning. I tried to isolate and find the smell, i was able to figure its somewhere on the drivers side on the engine but i can't find the direct source. Then yesterday the check engine light came on and the vehicle started to misfire. The burning smell is not as strong anymore but its still there. Can anyone direct me where to look for the problem or maybe even have a solution? It would be greatly appreciate it. I love this truck and would hate if it starts failing on me now...

Old 08-23-2010, 07:57 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the wires and wire loom that run to the coil packs and injectors, also pull a plug to make sure they changed them and used the right kind (copper core champions are the fav, but copper core is the important part)

Old 08-23-2010, 08:21 AM
ARoque912

Thanks for the advice its much appreciated and i will definitely check that out. Also i plugged a scanner in and two codes came up P0305- Cylinder 5 misfire detected and P0205 Injecter circuit open Cylinder 5. The first code is pretty obvious but the second one confuses me a little does it mean its a bad injector or could the wiring be bad?

Old 08-23-2010, 08:46 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

could be a loose plug on the injector, or a break in the wire, or a bad injector (test the injector by switching it to a different cylinder, if the code follows it you have your answer)

Old 08-23-2010, 09:14 AM
ARoque912

Thanks again im gonna check it out

Old 08-23-2010, 10:01 AM
dodgehoodup

Since you just bought the d shouldn't you take it back to them and have them fix it, i mean you no longer got out of there parking lot before this happened right?

Old 08-23-2010, 10:31 AM
ARoque912

The burning smell started happening on my way home from the dealer the codes and misfiring started happening yesterday.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:19 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What warranty did they give? I know when I bought my D, they gave me a year warranty. I went back for broken windshield, which they broke the night I bought the D. Tires, brakes, and some other smaller incidental stuff I can't recall now.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:35 PM
LuxuryDodge
Professional

not to threadjack or anything, but it seems like i smell like plastic burning under the hood occasionaly and my durango wont pass deq as theirs an leak somewere (small and gross) and i tried an new, factory gas cap to fix the leaks but it didnt do anything. Could the burning smell and the leak have something to do with eachother? and my check engine light has been on for nearly an yr now because of the leak.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:44 PM
ARoque912

They gave me a 2YR 24,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. Complete coverage of all major components of the vehicle.

I decided to take the truck back to the dealer (being it was under warranty) I stood outside while they worked on it for about 2 and a half hours. They apparently changed my number 5 injector , did some wire work and pulled all the plugs and checked them. They suspected the valves were sticking, so they blew out the valves and basically did the same things over n over again. when i got the truck back it was still missing. They told me they think the exhaust valve in cyl 5 is sticking and they may need to do a head job on the left side, but they want me to drive it around a couple of days to see if it goes away. I plan to take it back friday cuz this misfiring sucks! What do you guys think? Sound funny or sound possible?

Quick Reply: Burning Smell From Hood???? Please help