1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

K & N Air Intake Kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 08:07 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

i dont think 22 would be too far out of reach if for you steve, just put a little bit of effort into it and see what you can do (hell if i can hit 20 w/ a 4x4 you should be able to do better)

Old 08-25-2010, 10:04 PM
LuxuryDodge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i belive my tire psi is around 35, i just came from les shwab for an battery and rotation and they filled the tires. I dont do much idiling, usualy at the most is 5mins but thats been an while since i never drive in rush hour traffic.

Could a part of the bad mpg be from the truck being fully loaded with options from the fac.?

did anyone else notice an improvement of mpg and/or peformance? If so the hushpower muffler should really help being its much much smaller, but more free flowing. what is the stock muffler's weight?

Old 08-25-2010, 10:43 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

the only options available on these trucks in 02 that i do not have is the 5.9l engine, and the cd changer (i got it all) so thats not the issue, i do run a couple more psi than you do, but each tire is going to like a different pressure so you are probably fine in that respect, but something is definitely not right there if you are really getting only 8.5 mpgs

EDIT: when did you last change your air filter? if thats clogged up it could be part of the problem

Old 08-25-2010, 11:27 PM
LuxuryDodge
Professional

i know theres alot more options like 4wd, towing, etc but i cant remember them all right now. my air filter is brand new cheaper one from jiffy lube.

i just now it says my adverage is 8.5mpg, and i have NO idea how to read the hud when it says how much mpg your getting right then, after the compass/miles to empty selection, as it says my mpg is going from like 10 then it'll shoot up to 50's and then back down an bit and so on.

It probaly doesnt help either that iv been doing an few w.o.t test runs real quick lately. i remeber a few months ago my adverage was 10mpg so i need to try keeping out of it. How much does cruise control help?

Old 08-25-2010, 11:35 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Well first and formal, NEVER trust a mechanic (sorry all)! Check your PSI in your tires in the early morning BEFORE the sun comes up and ensure you are the correct PSI. I had 36-37 PSI in the front and 35 PSI in the back on 31 X 10.5 LT15 BFG KO's.

Second, do a tune up and change over to Fully Synthetic.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:49 PM
LuxuryDodge
Professional

if i remember correctly an full tune up is, plugs, wires, cap/rotor, and oil/filter correct? Thing is i remeber asking someone about me putting in new plugs/wires and they said that with the 4.7there are no wires that they use coils? What are coils and what do they cost? whats the difficulty on replacing the coils? i just spent 109 for an battery, and this bites because i still need tags, renew liscence, get the 3 dents out from an shopping cart, and get the muffler installed!

iv filled my tires an few times and i just go by the sticker on the door as the tires dont have an psi rating on them? there wildcat tires, i'll go out an check what model.

from the look of it on the sidewalls there wildcat radials.

EDIT: these are my tires http://www.vulcantire.com/wildcatat_t.htm

Last edited by LuxuryDodge; 08-25-2010 at 11:58 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:36 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

using the tire pressure in the door jam should be just fine,

tune up for the 4.7 is plugs, air filter, and oil change if you like to include it in the tune up coils are lifetime units unless they malfunction,

do you reset the overhead display everytime you fill up? if not start doing it, and keep an eye on it, if you see the number going down it will change your driving (also dont rely on it to be correct, its just a gauge of your personal driving habits)

Old 08-26-2010, 01:49 PM
LuxuryDodge
Professional

cool, plus at pep boys they have the champion plugs i need an buck an piece. i know how to work with plug wires but are the coils over/around the plug like wires are and if so how do you remove them?

other then the battery being disconnected does anything need to be removed to change the plugs?
is there any tight spots i should worry about?
and what is the torque specs for the plugs?
also how long does the plug change typically take?

i just reset the hud, always have forgot to. I havent driven yet but i'll be checking later.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:09 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

the plug change is quick 30 minutes including time to drink the 6 pack

disconnect the battery, i pulled the air hat (square thingy) off the tb so i could get to the coil packs easier, there is a nut that holds the coild packs on, remove it and they should pull straight up (much like a plug wire)

Old 08-26-2010, 10:56 PM
LuxuryDodge
Professional

so wait, are the plugs on the block like usual engines or are they on, im guessing the heads? you can reach them all by the top correct? and do i need to torque down the plugs or is it not necissary?

Quick Reply: K & N Air Intake Kit