1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

K & N Air Intake Kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 03:58 PM
fpsweet
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im not disproving what you are both saying and the 4.7 ignition may not run that hot compared to other makes. but as a with most every other make you can not run a copper core because the electrode will erode to quickly and those multi tip plugs are a scam i agree. the only plugs that seem to be worth a crap are ngk, ac delco, and champion from my experience. I'm not the word most informed 4.7 guy because i dont like the motor. its 5.9L or hemi for me, i was going off of general experience and theory

Old 08-31-2010, 06:24 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by fpsweet
... you can not run a copper core because the electrode will erode to quickly...
dont know where you heard that, but i would like to see a reference (source) until you provide one to me im standing by what chrysler tells us is best, they invested millions (hell maybe more) in designing these engines if there was ANY truth to this then the trucks would have shipped with a different plug type in them

COPPER CORE PLUGS WILL NOT ERODE MORE QUICKLY IN A COIL ON PLUG SYSTEM THAN IN A 'REGULAR' DISTRIBUTOR RUN SYSTEM. think about it, they are both running the same voltage, through them the same number of times, no difference in that respect. only thing is there is less chance of interference with the sensors around the wire routing (no wires) so better computer control of the engine, and less loss through the plug wires, and higher reliability.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:36 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Ok ok,

Talking about spark plugs is like talking about oil! Each has their favorites but lets get to the facts! The motor was designed to run em a specific way, Chrysler spent MILLIONS if not a Billions in developing the motor (and more on the 5.9L since it's release in 1962), they are a proven plug, and millions on the road.

But then there is some guys that look at a few pieces of paper, a few companies that invest a few $1000's, a lil talkin here and there, and suddenly someone else (or buisness) comes along and tells you that they can do it better and they know more.....LMAO..... Well I'm going to lean on the 100's of engineers and millions (or more) of dollars invested that Chrysler has invested over someone that thinks a simple plug can run better in an OEM system period!

Now if we step out of the box and go manipulation of the system then there is a whole new world out there. Your question on if you should use a Super Charger on a 4.7L, well I surely wouldn't do it and simply trade it in on a 2nd generation with a OEM 5.7L HEMI or go even better in the newly announced 3rd generation performance Durango with a newly refined HEMI from hell! https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...-official.html

Old 09-27-2010, 09:31 AM
rvr2

Recently did an air intake mod to my 2001 Durango 4.7L 4x4..
I changed out the factory air intake box and went with a 'dual-snorkel' air breather I found on eBay for around $70..
The '4.7L Stroker' decal I found on eBay as well for added flare..

This Durango had 246,000 miles on it when I got it last year.. I replaced the cat converter and muffler with a Magnaflow cat converter and a 40 Series Flowmaster (single inlet, single outlet - Can't put dual exhaust on it due to the spare tire and rear sway bar on the driver's side. No biggie cause it still sounds good)..
I bought a set of ignition coils and the recommended Champion spark plugs for a future tune up (runs great currently)..

Attached Thumbnails K & N Air Intake Kit-2001-durango-013-1-.jpg  

Last edited by rvr2; 09-27-2010 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:36 AM
rvr2
Unhappy

I just replaced the blue hose that connected to the PCV air intake tube with a small 'ricer' filter from Auto Zone..
I can't seem to post another pic of this for some reason..

Old 09-27-2010, 02:35 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

that air filter setup is hurting your performance as it is sucking hot air right off the exhaust manifolds into the intake, hot air = less dense = less oxygen = less gas put into the cylinders by the computer = less power. . .

just FYI

Old 09-27-2010, 06:49 PM
Gorhad
Professional

so what exhaust system should i look for for his 4.7L

Something like rvr2 suggests?

Old 09-28-2010, 01:22 PM
fpsweet

I put a 3 inch exsaust on my 01 with a 5.9L with a magnaflow 3 inch cat and muffler. 2.5 inch may be more approprate for the 4.7L so you dont lose to much back pressure a liitle back pressure is good for the bottom end performance

Old 09-28-2010, 03:43 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

dont waste your money replacing the cat converter, dodge saw the light this time and put a high flow cat in these trucks, so until you get up over 500hp you wont see any gains from changing the exhaust (except a different sound)

Old 09-28-2010, 03:53 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You want a cold air intake (CIA) and a good exhaust. I like Magnaflow. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...wers-faqs.html

Quick Reply: K & N Air Intake Kit