1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

01 Durango 4.7 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 12:34 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

put a volt meter on he battery, if its reading 12-13 volts the cells are most likely fine, the other alternative is to use a hydrometer to check each individual cell

Old 09-06-2010, 06:04 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Clean the terminals and get a new large battery (I perfer Duralast Gold from Auto Zone). Get a terminal cleaner like this:

Clean the terminals and battery posts and do this dry. Then get some acid disks like this:

And place them down red on pos + and green on neg -. Next place the terminals on and tighten then down and use a back up wrench on the other side of the bolt! Don't just use the battery to hold back your torque. Use a wrench on the other side so you don't break the post.

Next I like to spray the terminal/post (when it is hooked up and finished) with a slight coat of inhibitor like this:

Old 09-06-2010, 06:35 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

hydra, you need to lay off the suace, he determined the battery isnt the problem anymore, he swapped to his other battery, it started fine, so he swapped them back again and it STILL worked fine w/ the battery originally in the D.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:25 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Ya the other one that is way to small!

The OLD battery is is just that OLD.

Just sayin, I would replace it. Now I must go back to the sauce that makes me a self proclaimed idiot and also dumb *** genius at the same time....LMAO

<-----BTW------ I'm juiced and ya called it tonight (this time....)......LOL

Old 09-08-2010, 03:01 PM
DurangoRT/RN
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly this has been my problem more times then anything! I always start there now!

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Clean the terminals and get a new large battery (I perfer Duralast Gold from Auto Zone). Get a terminal cleaner like this:

Clean the terminals and battery posts and do this dry. Then get some acid disks like this:

And place them down red on pos + and green on neg -. Next place the terminals on and tighten then down and use a back up wrench on the other side of the bolt! Don't just use the battery to hold back your torque. Use a wrench on the other side so you don't break the post.

Next I like to spray the terminal/post (when it is hooked up and finished) with a slight coat of inhibitor like this:

Old 09-08-2010, 06:32 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

So do I get the RN approval doc?

Old 09-08-2010, 11:49 PM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nah, you get a rx to lay off the sauce! LOL! Shrp's is correct this instance? I'd say if he calls you sauced, he's 95% right most of the time! LOL!!!

Old 09-09-2010, 04:11 AM
dubina
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's what happened to me.

I got the post cleaner, rings and spray and did that stuff. Now the car starts fine, no problem.

I didn't buy a new battery. I didn't need one.

The correct advice to anyone with this problem is to first get the cleaner/rings/spray and scub the posts and cable terminations. If that doesn't work, go on to the more costly solutions. Why get a new battery if you don't need one?

What threw me for a loop was the fact that I cleaned the posts and cables once, when I first had the problem. I cleaned them pretty good...but apparently not good enough. The problem occurred after I had been driving for an hour or so. It gave no prior warning at all...so it "felt" like a part failure. Then, when I cleaned the battery, I had no idea that a really brisk scrubbing was needed to fix the problem. That made all the difference.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:03 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sometimes the posts get worn down from scrubbing too much. Yeah, sounds conterproductive but it happens. After a thorough cleaning of posts and terminals, make sure the terminals are properly seated and tightened to prevent corrosion. They sell these fancy inhibitors but I found I can use petroleum jelly on them and end up with the same results. Liquids just do not like the petro jelly. I cleaned the posts and terms a while back and they still like I just cleaned them. HTH.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:04 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by dubina
Here's what happened to me.

I got the post cleaner, rings and spray and did that stuff. Now the car starts fine, no problem.
Glad to hear!

However Dan is right, you don't wanna take TOO much lead off. Just clean em up good and shiny. Petro works and so does grease, but these are what I like to use. Besides, these can be bought at Walmart or other for cheap!

Quick Reply: 01 Durango 4.7 won't start