1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Passenger side floor flooding

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 10:37 PM
MRawwr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by neogeo
real quick to find out if it IS the ac drain port.. crank it up turn on the AC and look underneath near the passenger tire to see if water is dripping , if it is NOT then it is the drain port plugged and its filling up the air box under the dash until it finds a way out and floods your floor. and if it is dripping it should be a good bit of water dripping underneath .. also after this problem is solved you should leave it parked for a while with the carpet pulled back and the windows down to let the padding under the carpet dry out im surprised you already dont notice a musty smell..
THIS IS IT!!! THIS IS IT!!!

I cranked it up... waited 15 min... nothing.

Now I got to finally pull all the stuff below the rug on the passenger side and boy what a pool was in there... surely if it was the coolant my engine would feel it.

So basically my truck is drowning in its own (distilled) AC condensation... WTF!!!

Now can you be so kind as to tell me where to FIND that AC drain plug? You see when I look underneath all I see is a forest of cables and tubes etc... I have a hanes manual but its microscopic closeups in B/W are about as usuless as they get and a generica of Dakota/Duranga from all years and mine is a 2003 with the newer 4.7 L engine and mercedes series 300 transmission (no joke! same one!!!).

Anyhow... worth a try to unplug it but would be nice to actually find it.

Anyone with precise instructions as to how to get it to it... or better a set of pictures???

Thanks now for the help... making progress and seem to be sure at 90% of what it is

Old 09-11-2010, 09:47 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

unfortunately i dont have any pictures and my truck is at home so i cant get any of my own, but here is one that i found online (i think this is from a 5.x series engine vehicle, but the drain location should be the same, its the black piece in this pic, yours probably wont have that black piece on it)
Name:  Draintubeinplace001.jpg
Views: 1395
Size:  89.7 KB

Old 09-11-2010, 03:04 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

To help you find it, it is on the passenger side firewall (cab) under the hood. It is back by the head of the motor. So as the A/C condensates (when A/C is on) the water drips out down to the ground by the inside of the passenger wheel.

Name:  ACDrainTubeFromHeaterDurango.jpg
Views: 2250
Size:  75.3 KB

Old 09-11-2010, 06:07 PM
MRawwr

Awesome thanks let me check it later today... started to dry out the floor on the passenger side, as I had to drain maybe 1/2 gal of water from there using towels...

For short trips < 1/2 hr there is no water so it reinforces that the drain is the culprit (A/C and heat work ok... engine coolant at ok level too.

Now it looks to me that the pic is taken from above? If this thing is accessible from above that would be heaven... I would need to see if a simple tube runs down but seen nothing of the like after following the coolant lines from the A/C unit.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:53 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

you wont have the down-turn on the end of your drain tube, the guy with that truck added it to correct another problem

Old 09-11-2010, 08:27 PM
MRawwr

Ok I checked... it is similar but like a screw on cap with 2 sides hollow and fitting on a protruding screw, and right behind the manifold on the passenger side. I will get some pics and upload later for everyone's enjoyment.

My next question is how to unclog that drain? Any product I can inject? will dran-o suffice? (probably not lol).

I got that cap unscrewed and probed the inside around that screw but it didn't go far... so I would definitely need to inject something in there to get it to clean a bit.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:32 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

use an unbent wire coat hanger rigid enough to knock the blockage loose while also flexible enough to follow minor bends in the line

Old 09-13-2010, 04:18 AM
MRawwr

Would one of those plastic tie wraps also do? in any case will try again tonight... good thing my hand can slide in that really small space behind the manifold.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:46 AM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't recommend using anything metal to unclogged the drain tube because you run the rick of damaging the evaporater core. Use a piece of rubber hose small enough to fit inside the drain tube and then use compressed air to blow away the clog.

I'm not familiar with the 'cap' over the drain tube you're speaking of but here's a $2 fix that has worked great for me. Pick up a 5/8" heater hose 90* elbow at any parts store, file or grind off the barb on one end. Apply a small amount of RTV on the end of the elbow and insert inside the drain tube and allow the RTV to dry. This will allow the water to drain and will prevent the air coming in front the front of the engine bay from forcing the water back inside the cab. It's not the best looking fix in the world, but it will cure your problem. Good luck!

Old 09-13-2010, 09:10 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MRawwr
Would one of those plastic tie wraps also do? in any case will try again tonight... good thing my hand can slide in that really small space behind the manifold.
Tie wraps should work well, just take bwdak's advice and not use any rigid metal to poke around the hole.

Quick Reply: Passenger side floor flooding