1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Clutch pack disintegrating

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 09:20 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

We're good friends!

Anyway, you are the first person I have seen with a Chryser 9.25 with 3.55 ratio and a 5.9L. Regardless it's fine just haven't seen it, and it doesn't really matter anyway as the carrier will be the same anyway just a different pinion and ring gear tooth. Everthing will still apply.

Make sure you get every peice out because there is a oil sump between the pinion bearings and if a piece of clutch pack gets in there it can cease the bearing. Your best bet would be to pull the pinion out and ensure a good cleaning.

Are you planing a full rebuild?

Old 09-16-2010, 10:34 PM
Belchfire
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a feeling you two were buddies. I'll pull it all apart and see. In a way, it's only 103K on it but then again, the clutch pack did start falling apart. I've done 60-second burnouts in my Duster with no issues, but as long as I've got this one apart, I'll at least replace bearings and seals. The gears looked fine and I probably won't be doing too many burnouts in it. I actually bought it for the 3rd seat and aftermarket DVD for the new grandkids. Many thanks -and your recommendations?

Last edited by Belchfire; 09-16-2010 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:43 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Doing burn outs on a LS rear end is really hard on them.

If the gears are fine then just a basic rebuild with new bearings and seals. Be careful not to ruin the shims on the Pinion (that are between the pinion gear end and the bearing next to it) look careful. You shouldn't need a new crush sleeve as you will have to compress it at just over 300 ft lbs torque then back off. I would just use the old one if you can get the right preload on the bearings.

Quick Reply: Clutch pack disintegrating