1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

98 Durango 5.9L NO HEAT!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 07:25 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Hell ya brother!

Give me 50's-60's any day! What stinkin coat, I don't need no stinkin coat!

Old 10-05-2010, 08:14 AM
Turbozcs2003
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow

That sucks having to remove the dash to change the heater core because the prior owners were idiots.

DOes anyone do preventative maintenance any more? How do people clog these things up?

If you suspect a clogged core, try pouring some CLR into it and let it sit a half hour then flush it both directions. Only risk is you could get a leak. I have a 22 yr old Shaodw on original heater core. A few years ago the heat wasnt up to sniff, at -20F here in Maine you need heat. Anyhow I did the CLR trick and if cured the problem. Note I change coolants every couple years to attempt to minimize clogged rads and heater cores.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:20 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Hell ya brother!

Give me 50's-60's any day! What stinkin coat, I don't need no stinkin coat!
You want to talk about weather? My wife and I went to Hong Kong for Winter vacation. It's about 60s at night and 70s during the day, in WINTER! So there we were in shorts and short sleeves and the locals are wearing full length down coats and hats and scarves, in 70s weather! I was giving them looks and they were giving us looks like why aren't they freezing to death? LOL!!! To top it off, it's tropical there so it's humid as well. And I don't like humid. Yeah, I'll take 60s at night and 70s during the days. Perfect weather.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:57 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

hmmm can we get that kinda nice weather here, permanently???? id be happy w/ it (plus then id be able to get a 2wd and not worry )

Old 10-05-2010, 02:02 PM
USFGUY

Originally Posted by Turbozcs2003
Wow

That sucks having to remove the dash to change the heater core because the prior owners were idiots.

DOes anyone do preventative maintenance any more? How do people clog these things up?

If you suspect a clogged core, try pouring some CLR into it and let it sit a half hour then flush it both directions. Only risk is you could get a leak. I have a 22 yr old Shaodw on original heater core. A few years ago the heat wasnt up to sniff, at -20F here in Maine you need heat. Anyhow I did the CLR trick and if cured the problem. Note I change coolants every couple years to attempt to minimize clogged rads and heater cores.

CLR eats aluminum. Too much in modern systems. Search for CLR and horror stories online. My favorite is the trucker ones that ruin 15+K engines with CLR. My 2nd favorite is trying the CLR in my 66 stang. It worked for a few days.. then as I was driving, BOOM! HOT HOT WATER spraying all over the front seats/my legs/passenger seat. I best guess is the heater core was weak from the calcium buildup and then removing it with CLR allowed it to blow.

Side note. I *WILL* try CLR on the heater core I took out just to see. Will post back in a few days to let everyone know the results of just filling heater core with CLR and rinsing it out.

On my own vehicles I flush/change the coolant once a year. Cheap insurance to prevent issues.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:03 PM
USFGUY

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
hmmm can we get that kinda nice weather here, permanently???? id be happy w/ it (plus then id be able to get a 2wd and not worry )

Hey It actually got below freezing like 5-6 times here last year.. BRRRRRR.

You would be surprised how many people here in FL have fireplaces because of the cold!

Weather here is great.. the pay on the otherhand SUCKS!

Old 10-05-2010, 03:55 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

ummm i like my seasons, and snow, and cold, and i hate heat and humidity . . . (my personal preference) so florida wouldnt work for me

Old 10-05-2010, 06:36 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

I would like to see more humidity in our air and no snow as that **** is way to cold. But 70 as a top high and 40's top low is great weather!

Originally Posted by USFGUY
CLR eats aluminum. Too much in modern systems. Search for CLR and horror stories online. My favorite is the trucker ones that ruin 15+K engines with CLR. My 2nd favorite is trying the CLR in my 66 stang. It worked for a few days.. then as I was driving, BOOM! HOT HOT WATER spraying all over the front seats/my legs/passenger seat. I best guess is the heater core was weak from the calcium buildup and then removing it with CLR allowed it to blow.

Side note. I *WILL* try CLR on the heater core I took out just to see. Will post back in a few days to let everyone know the results of just filling heater core with CLR and rinsing it out.
Well you need to post the link you are talking about.....lol

Can't wait to see the aftermath of the test!

Old 10-05-2010, 09:24 PM
USFGUY

Originally Posted by hydrashocker

Well you need to post the link you are talking about.....lol

Can't wait to see the aftermath of the test!
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1211462
a couple of people in there post about truck engines ruined from CLR.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1682519
this thread talks about using wood bleach and washing soda (dishwasher detergent?) to clean it out. Chemicals that GM used in their engine flush awhile ago...

and on CLR website it sayshttp://www.jelmar.com/faq.htm Can I use CLR to clean out my radiator?
No, CLR should not be used on a car radiator for two reasons. First, CLR may not be compatible with the internal metals of the radiator. Second, it could have adverse effects if the CLR is not rinsed out completely.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:25 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Ya know,

Why the hell not use White Vinegar! I mean it cleans deposits up really good but is easely washed out and/or deluted?

Quick Reply: 98 Durango 5.9L NO HEAT!