1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

98 Durango 5.9L NO HEAT!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 01:47 PM
USFGUY
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Durango 5.9L NO HEAT!

Hi Guys!

I just bought a 98 Durango 5.9L that has a few issues. The main one now is no HEAT!

Everything blows out the correct vents. Blower/Fan speeds work. A/C works great, but no heat.

Just changed water pump/radiator/stat (changed to 180) and flushed the system as a whole and then the heater core separately. Still no heat. Hoses going to the Heater core are both hot when engine is up to temp.

Any Ideas?

Thanks for the help.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:28 PM
Chris_Gorham
Professional

assuming the heater core is allowing the coolant to pass through then the most likely explanation is that the blend door is stuck...
thats the door that the rotary **** on the dashboard connects to...
solutions involve the simple things as removing the dial and giving the cable a tug, air lines down the vents to blow any obstructions out the way and then the biggest such as removing the entire airbox and fixing it once and for all...

Chris

Old 09-26-2010, 01:52 PM
USFGUY

If both hoses going to and coming from the heater core are hot I assume the water is going through the core. Even with a flush do you think the core is mostly plugged/clogged?

The rotary dial that says cool/hot, when I turn it I can hear a difference in sound from cold to hot. So I assume the door is changing positions.

Also I can change it from defrost to vents no problem. So I don't think its a vacuum issue.

Maybe its just a florida car and doesn't think it needs to produce heat!

I took it to an small shop and for a small charge they looked it over and suggested taking it to a dealership as they had no clue. I really don't want to take it to the dealership and get charged for a few hours $$$$ just for diagnosis.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:13 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Concitering your Durango is a 1998 your dial is controlled by vacuum and not electronic actuators. Check your actuators at the blend door and ensure the blend door is actuating.

Next you said you blew out the heater core. Did you do this with a garden hose and blow out both sides to ensure that you are getting full flow through the core. If you did then the core is not you issue and you need to go back to the actuators.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:36 PM
USFGUY

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Concitering your Durango is a 1998 your dial is controlled by vacuum and not electronic actuators. Check your actuators at the blend door and ensure the blend door is actuating.

Next you said you blew out the heater core. Did you do this with a garden hose and blow out both sides to ensure that you are getting full flow through the core. If you did then the core is not you issue and you need to go back to the actuators.

Yes... I used a garden hose and ran water both directions.. A some but not much rust sludge came out of the heater core as well as the rest of the system. I don't think it had any antifreeze in it just straight water for awhile. Both hoses to/from heater core are hot but they were that way before I did the flush.

How do I test the blend door? When I turn the hot/cold **** I hear a change in the sound of airflow. Also when I change from floor/vent/defrost it changes airflow almost immediately. Is there a way to check it without tearing off the dash?

It's pouring rain here right now. As soon as it stops I will go out and look under the dash and see if I can see any rods move when I turn the ****.

Thanks Hydrashocker

Old 09-28-2010, 05:12 PM
USFGUY

Ok... took off the glovebox door to see up in there better, and when I opened it the glovebox handle broke. So I need a new handle there now too!

ONLY 1 vacuum port/hose I see is on the very right hand side by the passenger door. Taking that off doesn't seem to affect anything. Could that be it?

I have no tools. Think I should pick up a brake bleeding vacuum kit from a parts store and see if the line holds a vacuum?

On a side note I did find a Nokia HSF-12 Speaker tucked behind the glovebox. I guess they had a handsfree cellphone setup in the durango at one point.

Last edited by USFGUY; 09-28-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:52 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Your going to have to download the Service Manual to find out which color goes to the blend door. Look down at the bottom: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...wers-faqs.html

Old 09-29-2010, 11:11 PM
USFGUY

Ok. Looks like dash has to come off to reach anything else.

Manual just talks about a cable for the temp. I see the cable but cant see/feel where it connects. To get to it the dash needs to come off. UGH!

Thanks.

Least I have a project to look forward to next weekend! LOL!

Old 10-04-2010, 04:43 PM
USFGUY

Ok.

Even though I flushed the heater core until it ran clear both ways. The core was so full of rust and scale it weighed at least twice as much as the replacement!

The dash coming off was a real PAIN! Now I get heat again! WOOHOOO! was down to 60 last night.. brrrrrrrrr

Thanks everyone for the help/advice.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:08 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

wait? DOWN to 60? i was riding my bike yesterday (before this crappy rain) and 60 was the high, i was comfortable . . .

(damn southerners and their thin blood)

Quick Reply: 98 Durango 5.9L NO HEAT!