1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Durango Down. Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 09:26 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Durango Down. Help Needed

My Durango starts on even the slowest, slightest crank. Well this morning, I let off the key at even a smaller interval and she fired up, but then stumbled and died in about 1 second. Now it re-cranks very strong but won't fire, sputter or do anything.

Seemed spark or fuel related to me prior to pulling the code. Swapped fuel pump relay with the fogs relay, nada. I then pulled the codes and only have a P1282. That code certainly could have been created after I messed with the relays.

I checked all around the sensors and relays for leakage from something that may have contaminated them. Nothing. Everything is clean.

Tank is full of fuel. I rocked the vehicle to see if that made any difference with the gas cap off to release any vapor lock, etc. I let it sit all day and after work today, here's what parts I have changed out with no luck…

- Changed out brand new NAPA Echlin Fuel Pump Relay part #AR606 for $9.49. Rechecked, no change, still won't fire/start. Swapped relay again with stocker fog light relay and moved the NAPA unit to the fog position. Fogs work fine, no change on startability with the fuel pump relay. I also have a brand new $9.99 Autozone Duralast fuel pump relay part #953394 19283 which is 100% identical to the NAPA unit so I tried it too. No change, still won't fire/start.

- Changed out the MSD coil for a brand new NAPA Echlin Coil (5.9L) part #IC410 for $40.39. No change, still won't fire/start.

- Changed out for a brand new, out of the box Mopar Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) part #05017479AA. No change, still won't fire/start.

- Changed out for a brand new, out of the box Mopar Idle Air Control (IAC) Sensor part #53030657AC. No change, still won't fire/start.

Anyone with ideas?

IndyDurango

Old 10-07-2010, 09:36 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

any chance you tried holding the gas pedal open (my manual says to do that if you think the engine is flooded), seems like you let it set long enough this shouldn't be an issue, but maybe . . .

also did you check the fuel pressure? and check for spark w/ a plug on the block, could also be a loose ground for the coil just a couple of ideas

Last edited by shrpshtr325; 10-07-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:48 PM
SumAmerican
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could be your alternator going.. that thing does crazy things to our Ds.. try keeping a foot on the pedal or a good jump.. if it will run with a little extra weight on the foot then it may be the alternator..

Old 10-07-2010, 10:03 PM
IndyDurango
Champion

Spark plug held to the firewall does spark when turning over the engine. Just cranks away and no fire.

Not smelling fuel. I hear and feel the relay click when engaging the key but not really hearing any hum from the pump either. Hard to hear it over the starter however.

I have a really nice battery charger/starter. Doesn't fire when the starter mode is connected either. Not the (1 year old) alternator.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:16 PM
76 warlock
Amateur

I'd say check the fuel pump. My dad has had 4 go out on his Suburban and they did the same thing.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:34 PM
IndyDurango
Champion

Indeed !!

On the DOC, it was recommended that I hammer on the tank and see what happens. With the skid plate over the tank, and it not up on jacks, you can't get to much of the fuel tank. With the hammer's handle, I was able to tap the sides of the tank. Turn the key and.... "WHIRRRRR" the pump engages and she fires right up after that. I ran her around the block and runs like a raped ape. I know, she's now on borrowed time of course.

I left the hammer in the D and really want to run the tank to empty before servicing (it's full of course!) I'll do it myself if it isn't to hard.

Since today was the very first sign of symptoms, albeit nearly a total failure of the system, how much time does she have Doc?

IndyD

Last edited by IndyDurango; 10-07-2010 at 10:42 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:42 AM
SumAmerican
Professional

good update... i'm still kinda lost.. but good to hear about the fuel pump.. consider changing the fuel pressure regulator while youre in there.. with ethanol added to the fuel they go out quite frequiently but dodges keep them in the tank.. just an extra 2 cents

Old 10-08-2010, 09:10 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

idk, how much time you have, but i wouldnt be wanting to find out, order the pump and change it ASAP

Old 10-08-2010, 07:13 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I was going to say replace battery and clean the connections.........LMFAO!

Press the fuel line valve to let out any psi from the line.

When lowering the tank remove the emission lines, remove the filler, lower the tank a little and remove the power harness. Then drop her out. It took me about 20 minutes to do my last one.

While it is out replace the entire pump assembly! While you have the pump out swish a little fuel in the tank to remove any debris and capture it so you can see how much stuff was in the bottom of the tank. Take pictures of the crap and of the pump (let’s look at the filters). This will be a good thread because I think it will surprise you.....LOL

Install the new pump and install. The fuel cell is very light in weight because its pollyurathane so no worries there. I did mine with a 1/2 tank and it wasn't bad at all. Auto Zone was special order and cheaper than Checkers but with Checker's price match guarantee they gave it to me for the same price which the product was the same and I printed it on line and they called to confirm the price and name brand (which was the same). I'm sure NAPA is going to be more $$$$$.

To tell you the truth, once they start going they usually go RIGHT THEN or VERY shortly after. I would just get-r-done and be done with it. You can remove the filler and lower the tank just enough to siphon some fuel out if needed.

Finally, take the extra parts you bought back and get your money back.......LOL

Quick Reply: Durango Down. Help Needed