1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

TCCM bad or 4X4 selector switch bad???

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 11:41 PM
rhillman75
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TCCM bad or 4X4 selector switch bad???

I have a 01 Durango SLT 5.9L 4X4. I have no CEL or warning lights, but I can not go into 4 wheel drive. With the vehicle running, I put it into neutral and go to switch the selector to ANY 4X4 selection and I have nothing. The only lights that I can get is the light up with park/headlights on. I did test the switch and I am getting power to at least 4 wires with the ignition on, but I do not get power of any kind when I am testing for volateg on the remaining wires while I am toggling the switch back and forth. I tested the transfer case motor and there is no engagement or voltage coming from the plug when the selector switch is moved. All fuses are okay that I can see unless there are more I do not know about (I have checked distribution block under the hood and the compartment between the drivers door and the dash). I did find the TCCM to the right of the steering column attached to the support wall (blue box), but I did not test it considering I have heard these are not the first thing to go. My question is...does the switch feed power to the TCCM or does the TCCM feed power to the switch? I am leaning toward the switch. I can get a new switch for fairly cheap online...is that a good place to start or does anyone have any other advice.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:01 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

does the 2wd light on the switch light up when you turn the key on, if not i would lean towards the switch being the culprit

Old 10-19-2010, 06:37 PM
rhillman75
Rookie

No...the are no indicator lights in any of the 3 positions. The only light is the illumination light with the park/headlights on. Not to mention... when I did test for voltage on the wires (presuming they would change voltage when selecting any position), I did not receive any change. The only voltage change was when I turned the ignition on and off.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:20 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

So you got no voltage out of the switch? Then there is your problem.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:20 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's what I said over the phone. Given what we have, certainly sounds like a bad switch.

IndyD

Old 10-23-2010, 12:43 AM
rhillman75
Rookie

Yeah... looks like I am buying a new/used TCCM. I put the new switch in this evening and guess what... NOTHING happened! I have the same results I had with the other switch. I still have no power to the engage motor, no lights on the switch when I move it from 2WD to either 4HI or 4LO. I again for the 30th time checked ANY and all fuses under the hood and in the drivers side door/jamb compartment. Kinda sucks considering I had $50.00 in the switch (anybody need another one?), and the only salvage yard that sells domestics has a questionable past on selling parts. Looks like I will be using my connections through work and car-part.com.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:43 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rob, use Pick-a-Part on Michigan Road just east of the White River, west of Methodist.

Easy in, easy out and you pick what you want. I go there every couple of months. They just paved the entire place too so no more mud!

IndyDurango

Old 10-24-2010, 08:08 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Make sure you have power to the motor from the switch and check connections at the harness.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:22 PM
hurtgen

any updates?

im currently going through the same situation. swapped tccm, switch, motor/mode. going to try ctm next.

any other things to check? anyone have a full service manual so we can check wiring and what not? i have a 77meg pdf but its missing the section for this. lol.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:02 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

there is a service manual for 2002 model year trucks (which should cover pretty closely the 01-03 trucks) available to dl in the FAQ thread near the top of the forum

Quick Reply: TCCM bad or 4X4 selector switch bad???