1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

My Plenum Repair Install.... Help??

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 03:04 PM
BikeBuilders
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Plenum Repair Install.... Help??

So, I started tackling the plenum repair kit from Hughes today... I got it all torn down, then called it a day. There have been a couple of casualties so far. Two ground wire connectors accidentally got snapped off, and one of the intake bolts snapped off in the head... I still have about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of the broken bolt that I can grab onto... What's the best way to get it out?? Here are some pics of what I have. Comments, suggestions, advice are welcomed.

Last edited by BikeBuilders; 01-24-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:00 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Soak the **** out of it with PB Blaster for a day or two. Then get a pair of locking pliers as tight as you possibly can and crank her out. Break it loose working it back and forth tell you get it out. Remember when you place your intake manifold back on you place a small amount of gasket sealant into a 4 corners where the heads and the block meet as well as your new gaskets. I use RTV Copper as I think it's the best.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:04 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Or use an ezout?

I have never had any success with pliers.

IndyD

Old 11-22-2010, 10:56 AM
BikeBuilders

Judging by the pics I posted, does it look like the gaskets were bad?? In my opinion, the small deposit of what appears to be oil, along with the staining inside the intake and a couple of spots on the inside of the plenum plate where the gasket is curved for some reason looks like it was seeping through.... But I am no real mechanic... Just wondering if my assesment is correct.

Also, when I took off the intake gasket, the two side gaskets were soaking wet. Some gas did spill onto that area when I removed the fuel rails, but I wouldn't think it would have been enough to get them that wet. Especially being that the intake was still bolted on. I could be mistaken, just wondering.

Last edited by BikeBuilders; 11-22-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:45 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Well first you have to understand this;

Every powerexhaust stroke a little of the exhaust gasses make it's way past the rings between the cylinder and the pistons. This gas ends up directly in your crank case. Without removal of these gases, it emulsifies with the engine oil and becomes very acidic! This acid will make short work of your motor! Also with heat comes evaporation of oil.

This is where the PCV valve comes to play. The PCV valve (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) creates a vacuum on your engine crankcase. There is also a fresh air inlet on the other side of your motor so as the gases are produced the air flows one way form one side of the motor to the other side of the motor and is ventilated through the PCV valve. It also takes any evaporated oil vapors as well from the crank case.

Now the PCV valve is piped dirrectly into the intake manifold. This is where the vacuum is made. All the vapors and gases are pulled into the intake manifold and distributed back into the air intake stroke of the motor to be burned/re-burned.

With this hot vapor and the cold intake air are mixed and the vapor coagulates, the molecules drop to the belly pan where oil and oil residue can form. Now if you have a lot of pooled oil in the belly pan then you have a Plenum leak. From the look of yours you might have a very small leak if any leak at all. Also remember that vapors can smell a lot like fuel/burned oil. Now you have the understanding of what happens, you can make your own diagnostic.

What I see is a larger issue is a water jaket looks to have leaked a little around that bolt causing the deteriorated bolt and all the rust. I think you will be able to get that out relitivly easy because the shaft is sticking out so far. You are just going to have to work it and have lots of patience, it will come out. If all else fails do not brake off the bolt shank, you will need to drill a small hole down the EXACT middle and slowly get larger while working the bolt tell it gets weak enough it will turn out. Be CAREFUL not to damage the threads!

Get a good set of intake gaskets like from NAPA or something and review the service manual/Chiltons.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:55 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lesson learned anyone? A $4 PCV replaced yearly is worth it's weight in gold.

IndyD

Old 11-23-2010, 09:40 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

I fully agree!

Old 11-24-2010, 12:39 PM
BikeBuilders

is it ok to use a wire wheel on a drill to clean the surface rust and corrosion from around the base of the broken stud??? Hopefully to allow it to break free easier, as well as let PB Blast penetrate it better... Or will this damage the surface of the head???

Thanks.

Old 11-24-2010, 04:12 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

I would blow it off real good with compressed air.

Old 11-25-2010, 02:36 PM
BikeBuilders

yes, but compressed air won't get rid of the hard deposits around the base of the broken bolt....

Quick Reply: My Plenum Repair Install.... Help??