1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

How many miles on these plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 07:27 PM
DurangoOwner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many miles on these plugs?

My 98 Durango is at 124191 miles. Just yesterday I replaced the cap, rotor, plugs, wires and coil. I am almost positive that the cap and rotor are stock. I really hope that the plugs aren't stock. (Can spark plugs last 120k?) I took a picture of the plugs, they are ugly. They were also a bitch to get out. I was wondering if anybody could give me a rough estimate of how many miles these plugs have seen?

Old 11-23-2010, 09:22 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Look like originals to me. I had 90k on my factory installed stockers. Ran fine. I just knew I needed to swap them. Now I swap them every 15-20k but that in reality is to soon verses to long.

IndyD

Old 11-23-2010, 10:01 PM
DurangoOwner

Feels like a breath of fresh air (for my D and me). They had to be hurting my gas mileage. The question is how much? I was getting 13.86 average mpg on the old plugs. I will compare to the new setup. This is on the 5.2.

ETA: I guess that gas mileage is about normal, right?

Last edited by DurangoOwner; 11-23-2010 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:44 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

+1 Looks original!

Make sure you look here: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...wers-faqs.html under Tune Up 1/2 way down.

Mke sure you reset your PCM: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ine-light.html

Old 11-23-2010, 11:12 PM
DurangoOwner

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
+1 Looks original!

Make sure you look here: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...wers-faqs.html under Tune Up 1/2 way down.

Mke sure you reset your PCM: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ine-light.html
What is the benefit of resetting the PCM? I was under the impression that new plugs and wires did not require resetting. By the way, I did read the FAQ, that's where I got the idea/information for the tune-up. Echlin cap, rotor, coil. Champion copper plugs.

Last edited by DurangoOwner; 11-23-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:17 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

-1. I am in your camp DOwner. No need to reset PCM for plugs and cap. If a sensor was replaced, then do so. Simple spark shouldn't matter (much.)

IndyD

Old 11-24-2010, 02:08 AM
DurangoOwner

I will be resetting the computer anyways after I remove the throttle body to clean it and replace the IAC motor.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:42 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Anytime you mess with induction, electrical inputs, sensors, or ANYTHING that might, or could possibly alter the way a motor opperates or that has been operating, a PCM reset should be completed. This simply allows you to get the best out of what you have changed. Do you HAVE to do it? No....But it's a REALLY good idea and it only takes 1 minute.

For instance, in your case, you have a spark plug gap that was exceeding the OEM gap. Thus the timing of the motor would have been slightly advanced to accommodate the late burn because of the old gap. This advanced timing would also increase fuel and air mixture requirements because the PCM would think because of the issue that you were at a different elevation than what you were and so on and so on-----

Once you mess with it don't you want to get the best out of your investment and not wait 100 miles and 12 before it even starts to get old settings out?, or shall we start now on a new foot and have it run right? It's your call.

Secondly, if you do the tune up you are supposed to remove the negative cable ANYWAY so your 2/3rds way there all you have to do is turn the key and hold it there for 30 seconds. Why wouldn't you want to? Each to their own I guess.

Old 11-24-2010, 04:23 PM
LuxuryDodge
Professional

Wait a second, for resetting the pcm are you suppose to hold the key for 15secs or 30 secs, Hydra, iv heard you say hold it for like 30 sec's a few times but then on the pcm reset thread it says hold for 10/15 secs?

I reseted the pcm yesterday and went along with the pcm thread and held the key for 15 secs, is that fine or did it not reset it? thanks

Old 11-24-2010, 07:59 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

we say 30 seconds just to be sure, but 15 should do it

Quick Reply: How many miles on these plugs?