1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's
Old 08-05-2015, 12:28 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: 4WD
Print Wikipost

Can I leave my truck in Full-Time 4WD all winter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 03:30 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

yea close to the same as hydra said, but you got the pt and ft backwards i believe, pt gives you better traction than ft does. and also, just so you know, you do NOT have to stop and shift into neutral to go into 4hi or 4ft, you can do that at a roll at speeds under (i believe) 30, i usually just let it coast while making the switch, but the neutral pause is only necessary for 4lo (maybe save you some time next time you need it)

Last edited by shrpshtr325; 11-29-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:37 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

anyone may be able to explain which answer is best, in detail.

I had the NV242HD case and understand it entirely. Do not use 4X4 unless you need it.

Originally Posted by 1999_Durango_SLT
I use mainly 2WD. If I start slipping in that I throw it in 4 WD PT, If I need better traction than that I throw it in 4 WD FT pulling over each time putting the drive in Neutral to pop it in the four wheel drives. If there is snow/ice really bad on the road I just slap it in 4 WD FT and go on for the day then when I am done running around paying bills or shopping I put it back into 2 WD. I think this is the same that Hydra said to do as well more less.

You my friend are miss-informed!

You have the NV242HD Transfer Case as well. The 4X4 PT is only for that PART TIME! Do not use this ever unless you HAVE to have MAXIMUM traction. The PT stands for Part Time and thus you are supposed to use it only when need, not when you just start to slip, that is what 4 FT is for.

4X4 FT is the normal 4X4 selection you should be using on slightly slippery road conditions. This is good for all conditions including switching from dry to loose surfaces.

If you use the 4 PT selection for all conditions you are winding up your Transfer Case and differentials and you will blow your case and or other drive train components. The reason is that in 4 PT the drive lines are LOCKED and if you turn, the front moves more rotations that the rear causing the wind up (Axle Bind). This is what happens to people that use the 4PT on conditions that are semi slippery or dry. Can you say EXPLODE? https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...-exploded.html

Look at the sun visor in the driver’s side and even it will tell you how to use your Transfer Case!

our trucks have had part time 4wd 2wd and 4 lo so i went w/ my gut and was apparently wrong
This is correct as all the Transfer Cases are considered "Part Time" except the AWD case. The difference between the hi-bred NV242HD cases is that it actually has 5 different settings not 4.

NV242HD
2WD
4PT
4WD
Neutral
4LOW

NV133
2WD
4Hi

NV231
2WD
4WD
Neutral
4LOW

NV241
2WD
4WD
Neutral
4LOW

NV244 (AWD Case)
AWD
Neutral
4LOW

By definition, a Transfer Case that operates in regular 2WD and has the ability to run in 4X4 by driver switching is technically a "Part Time" transfer case. The difference between those and the NV242HD case is that it actually has an additional 4PT selection, where all other cases just the normal selections.

So yes, you are correct Sharps, but with a slight miss-understanding.

Last edited by hydrashocker; 12-22-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:48 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

apparently thats what i get for posting at 2300 after a day of cutting/hauling firewood . . .

Old 08-07-2015, 09:54 AM
cmikolajczyk
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 242

What years had the 242? My 98' Rango had one, but I gave that truck to my B.I.L. and I am looking for another Rango, since driving my aging diesel is not my preferred errand running truck, but it's all that I've got since I have to leave the burb with my wife. I'm looking for a slightly newer Rango, 5.9 ONLY.

I would like to know what years carried the 242, so I can narrow my search for a new Rango. Thanks guys!

Old 08-07-2015, 01:11 PM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by nottidurango
1) Can I leave it in Full-Time 4WD all winter, even on the freeway too? My truck is tricky to take in and out of 4WD
Don't be afraid of it. Use it properly, only 4wd when weather demands. If it (or you?) has issues going in/out of 4wd, fix that, then use it properly.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:50 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Wow old thread, anyway...

Originally Posted by cmikolajczyk
What years had the 242? My 98' Rango had one, but I gave that truck to my B.I.L. and I am looking for another Rango, since driving my aging diesel is not my preferred errand running truck, but it's all that I've got since I have to leave the burb with my wife. I'm looking for a slightly newer Rango, 5.9 ONLY.

I would like to know what years carried the 242, so I can narrow my search for a new Rango. Thanks guys!
98 and 99 had the 242 that had the 2wd mode. 2000 had the 242, but it didn't have 2wd, the default position for on the road was 4 hi full time.

I'm also fairly sure that there is no viscous coupler in the 242, just a center differential. I think hydra has even since mentioned that. I personally don't see what running in 4 hi ft is going to hurt; that's how all 2000 trucks with this case normally run around.

I don't really think it's even going to hurt gas mileage, I drove 250 miles from Pittsburgh to Princeton, WV with freezing and thawing roads and a mix of sleet, snow, and rain in 4hi ft and didn't even see lower gas mileage than normal.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:01 AM
cmikolajczyk
Professional

Originally Posted by that_guy
Wow old thread, anyway...

98 and 99 had the 242 that had the 2wd mode. 2000 had the 242, but it didn't have 2wd, the default position for on the road was 4 hi full time.

I'm also fairly sure that there is no viscous coupler in the 242, just a center differential. I think hydra has even since mentioned that. I personally don't see what running in 4 hi ft is going to hurt; that's how all 2000 trucks with this case normally run around.

I don't really think it's even going to hurt gas mileage, I drove 250 miles from Pittsburgh to Princeton, WV with freezing and thawing roads and a mix of sleet, snow, and rain in 4hi ft and didn't even see lower gas mileage than normal.
Wonderful. I don't like the idea of towing heavy loads with 4x4 at higheay speeds. I would be a bit nervous about downshifting for a steep grade, and putting that extra strain on the front end. I would like to have a 2wd option, but if I find a nice 2000, I guess I could be fine with it, I'll just try to make sure to use my truck when it comes to pulling things when I can.

There's not much for sale around me now, but I 'll wait and save some cash for when I find a good Rango for sale.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:59 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

You can always switch the transfer cases out if you find a nice one with the 231 case. Mine originally had the 231, so I swapped it out for a 242 from a wrecked 98 (paid $100 for it from a guy on craigslist). Only took a few hours to do.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:27 PM
cmikolajczyk
Professional
Default Found one!

I found a 2000 R/T. It's got the AWD 242 without the 2wd option. I might buy it tomorrow, and I'll start a thread about it, but am really excited about finding a nice 5.9 R/T AWD with only 150k miles.

Old 08-10-2015, 03:12 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by that_guy
What the hell are you talking about????

2000 came standard with the NV231 that had 4Lo,N,2WD, and 4HI that's what my 2k has as well. Unless your thinking about the NV244(AWD case, rare find) they all came with a 2wd option.

Quick Reply: Can I leave my truck in Full-Time 4WD all winter?