1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Inconsistent Coolant leak after flush

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 02:37 PM
DurangoOwner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inconsistent Coolant leak after flush

This is on a 1998 Durango with the 5.2. I am experiencing inconsistent leaks from somewhere in my cooling system. My cooling system was way past due for a flush. I did that the other day, the coolant was a horrible brown color. I got that out of there and I ran radiator cleaner with distilled water for a couple days. Drained that out and refilled with water. Drove it like that for the day, this is when I first noticed a leak. I noticed a small spot of coolant on the pavement. I drained that water and refilled with distilled water again and idled the motor for about an hour to make sure it was working properly. When I shut the motor off I noticed another small leak coming from the skidplate right between the front wheels. It leaked for a minute or so then stops.

I am sure a large amount of sediment is still in my heater core and radiator, but it runs very cool. So I am not worried about that at the moment. My priority last night was getting antifreeze into the system because the night temps are starting to drop below freezing here. So I drain the radiator and fill with antifreeze, then idle for 30 min or so. This is where it started leaking the most. I shut the motor off, and a steady stream of coolant starts leaking from the middle skidplate between the wheels, as well as the front skidplate. It leaked like that for a good 10-15 min and then stopped.

It never leaks while the motor is running. Looking at the engine from below I see several possible places for the leak. It looks like it could be coming from the water pump. But where it was leaking the most is closer to the heater core. There are traces of coolant running down the lower hose. But it all looks like its coming from above the water pump.

What I assume happened here is that the leaks were present before I flushed the system, the only thing keeping them from leaking was sediment. When I started running the cleaner and water through it, it cleared those holes and is now allowing fluid through. I am simply trying to locate the leak so that I can figure out what needs to be replaced.

Another piece of useful information is this: the day before I drained the radiator for the first time, I drove 5 min to work and the temp gauge got all the way to the middle in that time frame. Way too fast. When I shut the car off I heard a steaming sound coming from the hood. I opened the hood and coolant had sprayed out of what looked like the thermostat housing. I assume the thermostat got stuck shut? By the way I also replaced the thermostat and gasket after I drained the coolant.

Sorry if this post is too long, confusing and unorganized or otherwise poorly written. Any insight into how to locate the leak or what might be leaking would be appreciated.

Last edited by DurangoOwner; 12-02-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:03 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Water pump can always be a culprit.

With a light, look straight down for leaks around the stat gasket. Any hint of color (antifreeze) that's it.

D will run cool even with low coolant. That is until a hot summer day.

Shame shame shame. Coolant should ALWAYS be swapped about every 24,000 miles. M-A-N-Y mentions of it in the 100,000 mile maintenance schedules.

And oh yea... about the 'text wall'... didn't read it all, ADD kicked in after I saw 5 paragraphs.

IndyDurango

Old 12-03-2010, 09:02 AM
DurangoOwner

Originally Posted by IndyDurango
Water pump can always be a culprit.

With a light, look straight down for leaks around the stat gasket. Any hint of color (antifreeze) that's it.

D will run cool even with low coolant. That is until a hot summer day.

Shame shame shame. Coolant should ALWAYS be swapped about every 24,000 miles. M-A-N-Y mentions of it in the 100,000 mile maintenance schedules.

And oh yea... about the 'text wall'... didn't read it all, ADD kicked in after I saw 5 paragraphs.

IndyDurango
There did seem to be a some fresh fluid in the area. But I dismissed that as the source of the leak because I don't know what I could have done wrong when I installed a new thermostat and gasket, it's pretty straightforward and foolproof in my opinion.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:09 PM
DurangoOwner

I just took it to the shop. They are saying its the water pump and will be replacing that. Is $600 a fair price to replace the water pump, replace all hoses and back flush/refill the cooling system? It seemed a little steep to me.

Last edited by DurangoOwner; 12-03-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:36 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I could do it for $150 and have that thing gorgous including the beer!

Sounds like a rip off to me!

Old 12-03-2010, 09:53 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

yea sounds like a major rip off to me

Old 12-03-2010, 10:06 PM
DurangoOwner

That is parts, labor and 8.25% tax guys. What would a shop you use charge for this? I figure $200 for water pump, coolant and hoses (with their markup) and 4 hours of work at $80/hr. + tax. I assume that's what any shop would charge. Did I really get ripped off that bad? Obviously I could have done this myself for much cheaper, but I don't have the tools, time, or place to do it in.

ETA: The actual under-hood labor cost was $218. $20 for the initial inspection. $200 for new pump and hoses. $100 for coolant exchange/flush. That's about what any shop around here would charge. I paid for the convenience. You guys make it seem like I got robbed.

Last edited by DurangoOwner; 12-04-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:33 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It could be that much around there, but I wouldn't of paid it........It's just our opinions that you got robbed is all.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:11 PM
DurangoOwner

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
It could be that much around there, but I wouldn't of paid it........It's just our opinions that you got robbed is all.
Well what would you get quoted at for the same work/parts around you? When you say $150, I assume you are talking about solely labor. If so, that's not that far from $218.

And, yes I have the same opinion that I got robbed, I hate paying people for something I can do myself. I could do the work and buy the parts myself for significantly less cost. But I am talking about costs relative to other shops, that's why I am asking you what it would cost for a shop you would use to do it, everything included.

Last edited by DurangoOwner; 12-05-2010 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:39 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

my sisters vw was around 450 for a new pump, labor to install it, new timing belt, new stat and the fluid(basically everything had to be replaced). and keep in mind these trucks are a HELL of a lot easier to work on then the damn vws so it shouldnt be any more IMO.

Quick Reply: Inconsistent Coolant leak after flush