Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 11:20 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
Default New to the Durango World (Pics)

Hello everyone.

My name is Jason, some of you may have seen me around Dodge Forum, as I've been here since 2008, but I usually hang out over with the 2nd Gen Rams, as I've owned one since 2007.

To the point: I need your guys' help. My wife used to drive a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4, until we attempted a trip to Rochester, MN, last weekend and totaled it on an icy bridge. No one was injured, and we were the only car involved. Weather wasn't even bad, not snowing, wasn't blowing snow, nothing. Just a dusting on the ground, interstate was clear, no bridges were icy at all until we came up on the bridge just over the border (we live in South Dakota).

We have been searching for a replacement vehicle on a tight budget, as this was not planned (obviously).

I've found a 2003 Durango SLT Plus AWD/4x4, and wanted your guys' opinions on it. The little lot we found it at is asking $11999. We test drove it and like it so far. There was a shake in the vehicle above 65 MPH, the salesman said they'd have it looked at, "most likely a tire balance issue." It felt like that or an alignment issue to me, but as long as they fix it, I don't care. Other than that and a dying battery (it looks to be the factory original), looks to be in really nice shape.

Year: 2003
Make: DODGE
Model: DURANGO
Package: SLT+
Body Style: Sport Utility
Mileage: 64,135 Miles
Engine: 4.7L V8
Transmission: Automatic
Drive Type: 4 Wheel
Color: Green
Interior Color: Taupe Leather

Pictures:

What do you guys think of it? Anything I should specifically look for when I test drive it again? I was thinking about opening up with a $9k offer if all goes well. Thanks in advance for your opinions!

Last edited by jasonw; 12-11-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:23 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

lets see here, 2003 is the best year of these trucks to get for a few reasons, one of them being that they are the newest, the other being that they had 4 wheel disc brakes (i believe it was just an option, but its still there). The biggest issues with these trucks are the ball joints on the front, if they are bolted on the recall has been taken care of if they are still riveted on i would get them replaced under recall. That is actually the biggest issue with these trucks, that one looks pretty good based on those pictures. It looks like its the same main color as my truck (i dont have the silver on mine) and its a good color, not too bad to keep clean (idk if you care about that or not).

NADAguide.com says clean trade in would be 8225, and you can bet that the dealer didnt pay that much for it, i would start in that area and try to work them down,

Old 12-11-2010, 02:17 PM
logikfive
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd keep looking.

I think you can find a better deal than that for even $9k.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:02 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Not up here, unfortunately. 4x2s are cheap and easy to find, 4x4s are worth 50% more in some cases. 2002-2004 4x4s (Jeep GCs, Durangos, even Ford Escapes) are worth their weight in gold, or so the dealerships think.

I've found a few other Durangos with over 100k on them for $9k-$10k asking price. Thats to high of mileage for me, just stating that for comparison sake. They want $9k+ for 2000 or 2001 Dodge Rams with 150k on them! They're all crazy up here, unfortunately.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:57 PM
1999_Durango_SLT
Professional

In Washington state it is the same truck or SUV's full size are gold. No matter if there is 200+ miles or not they run 9k up to 15k.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:01 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I think it looks like a great ride. Ensure the tie rod ends and ball joints are good. Take it to your shop and spend the $100 bucks or what ever and have a 120 point inspection done to it. When I bought my truck I had a 175 point done to it $129, it was too much $$$ and didn't tell me anymore than a 120 did.

Remember to get all the fluids changed and the rest is history. Try and work on the price tho.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:12 AM
sparkmarv
Rookie

would agree, work on that price, would shell out $8,000 at first,
if they dont take it, negotiate, find other issues with the vehicale, cosmetic ect. ect.
If they say $8,500, $9k,$10k tell them what you expect for that kinda money, all defects, and blimishes fixed, hell tell them you whant the fluids changed. with the economy hurtin the way it is, hopefully they are to, and shouldnt wanna pass up a sale.
Also they have jacked that price up, due to it being winter (close enough) and its a 4x4.

Last edited by sparkmarv; 12-12-2010 at 01:14 AM.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:12 PM
LuxuryDodge
Professional

I think its a pretty good deal but I might just be thinking that as I paid 14k for my 02 that is just about the same as yours haha.

But if I was you I would request them to do a better cleaning job on her, maybe im just stingy but it looks like the driver side carpet is pretty dirty/muddy looking, theres a decent layer of brake dust behind the wheels, it looks as the tires still have some mud on the side of them, also the headlights look a bit foggy, so I couldnt imagine what the engine bay looks like in this case HAHA

also the tires are rt/s which are stock tires for most durangos, but it looks like they are either new or still have very good tread, but im assuming new correct?

Also FYI, for a new battery from les schwab will set you back 100 bucks about, and atleast they claim, that you need the extreme peformance battery

But im digging the truck color combo tho and make sure to give her a nice coat or two of nxt gen 2.0 tech wax once you get her! Good luck!

Old 12-12-2010, 05:46 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by LuxuryDodge
But if I was you I would request them to do a better cleaning job on her, maybe im just stingy but it looks like the driver side carpet is pretty dirty/muddy looking, theres a decent layer of brake dust behind the wheels, it looks as the tires still have some mud on the side of them, also the headlights look a bit foggy, so I couldnt imagine what the engine bay looks like in this case HAHA
I am debating whether or not to install clear headlamps. The wife liked her factory clears on her Jeep GC 4x4. It'll either be that or factory replacements (that aren't foggy).

We tested the brakes when we test drove it. Wow do they stop when you slam that pedal down, a lot better than my Ram.

Thank you for being picky/stingy. Sometimes when I get caught up liking the car, I forget to look for the little things.

also the tires are rt/s which are stock tires for most durangos, but it looks like they are either new or still have very good tread, but im assuming new correct?
They are very new, I'd say 80% or better. Those tires are rated poorly on Tirerack, but they'll do for now. Never liked Goodyears myself, the only good ones I can find are the expensive Triple Treads. Always liked Bridgestone/Firestone or Nittos.

Also FYI, for a new battery from les schwab will set you back 100 bucks about, and atleast they claim, that you need the extreme peformance battery

But im digging the truck color combo tho and make sure to give her a nice coat or two of nxt gen 2.0 tech wax once you get her! Good luck!
I'm going to make sure the dealer puts in a new battery. Thanks for the luck, as soon as he gives me a call back (hopefully early this coming week) after he's gotten the shake taken care of and the battery, the wife and I are test driving it again and planning on making an offer.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:22 PM
LuxuryDodge
Professional

no problem, and yes the brakes are KICK ASZ and i just havre the front disk/rear drum.
Have you heard anything back yet?
I havent really found many durangos that looked good with cear headlights, but maybe itll be better with the dakr green/silver???

Quick Reply: New to the Durango World (Pics)