1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Torque Converter locked up on output/pump shaft

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 10:17 PM
Randy_alpha
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque Converter locked up on output/pump shaft

Hi All,

I posted the other day asking if anyone knew how to get the flywheel cover off the bottom of the tranny. Oklahomafbody was kind enough to responed (thanks O), and he told me that the cover goes up and behind the two alignment pins. He said to split the tranny from the engine far enough to slip it out.... should be a piece of cake right? Nope.

It looks like the torque converter is locked up on the pump shaft..... so I can't pull it back at all which means I can't unbolt the torque converter from the flywheel.

This tranny is totally cooked, never seen fluid come out of a tranny that looks like motor oil and smells like the scrapings of the bottom of a barbeque.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how I get this thing split? I'd appreciate any wisdom.

Randy

Old 12-19-2010, 11:50 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

He was some what right. What you need to do, is remove all the bellhousing bolts. Only the one with the 9/16 heads. Then loosen the the two 5/8 bolts out about an inch. using a pry bar and push the transmission back until the inspection plate falls out. Oh before i forget, make sure the starter has be removed and the stud that goes thru the plate and threads into the bellhousing.Then push the transmission back to the engine block and tighten one of the 5/8 bolts and then remove all the torque converter bolts.
If you have any question send me a pm or you can find me in the van section.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:03 AM
Randy_alpha
Default Thanks Master

Sent you a PM.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:12 AM
oklahomafbody
Rookie

there should be enough room at the bottom....... Doesnt look like it but there is.... to get the Flywheel to crank plate bolts out. then you should be able to get enough room to jerk that worthless plate out and toss it in your scrap pile Then you will need two large prybars, or two tire irons, to stick between your case and Torque converter once on the ground. Use both together and eventually it will pop out.... Dont ask how I know. Just need enough force to pop it out, but not enough to damage the bell housing. It'll come out with enough persuiasion. The Front pump bushing has welded itself to the TC snout and the front pump seal is whats holding you up. Its a tough little bastard. Your Torque converter and flywheel are one piece, meaning the ring gear is made onto the TC. There is a thin flat plate bolted to your crankshaft instead of a regular flywheel. Hope that clears things up a little. Took me a bit to figure it out.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:14 AM
oklahomafbody
Rookie

Sorry master tech, i had pulled up the thread and then had to go do other things before I posted :P OP, listen to Mastertech lol.

Also, if your planning to ditch that plate, you can just get something in there to bend it back out of your way to get to the flywheel bolts. If you get a clean bend, you can probably straighten it out and put it back in, I elected to trash it and leave it out. That may make a little more sense as to how I got it out.

Second edit--- sorry... Part of why I ditched the plate also, the previous owner had jb welded all around the bottom of it thinking that was going to stop the front pump from leaking..... which turned out to be the front pump bushing like yours most likely.

Last edited by oklahomafbody; 12-20-2010 at 12:19 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:48 AM
Randy_alpha
Default Thanks guys... I'll keep you posted.

It might be a couple days before I get back under it, but I'll definitely keep you updated.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:24 AM
oklahomafbody
Rookie

I may be pulling mine out in the next day or two, so it'll be fresh on my mind as well. Having some issues with mine again, although at least something different this time.

Quick Reply: Torque Converter locked up on output/pump shaft