1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

air in the cooling system

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 09:50 AM
Carter06492
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air in the cooling system

I replaced a water pump on a 2000 dodge Durango 5.9 I fill the cooling system with new mixture of 50/50. The Durango is now overheating and there is no heat. I think there may be air in the system. What is the recommend steps to remove air from system?

Old 12-20-2010, 10:45 AM
samnbensdad
Captain

Did you fill the reservoir only or did you also fill the radiator through the cap in the upper radiator hose?

Old 12-20-2010, 12:19 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Firs I would check the fluid level in your reservoir then I would check to see if theres adequate flow and no blockages by feeling the main line on the engine and making are theres plenty of flow (once the tucks heated up of course). I would guess if you're thinking its air in the lines you have already done this so it could be air in the lines because this is a common thing if filled up the reservoir only after a water pump replacement.

Removing the air out of the lines is called "Bleeding the Radiator". What I like to do is wait until the car is fully cooled down (I would wait overnight and do it on a cold morning) and take the radiator cap off. Start the car with the radiator cap off so no pressure builds up and let it run for about 10 or 15 minutes or so. This should let all the air escape out of the open radiator cap so check the reservoir and the fluid should be low so add more 50/50 to it.

Presto! You gotcha heat back!

Quick Reply: air in the cooling system